Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners

Warbonnet Tarps & Pitching / Fabric Stress?

I've had my Superfly tarp for a couple of years and have always pitched it over top of a continuous ridgeline, mainly so it is supported by the ridgeline to minimize fabric stress. I've never tied off directly to the tarp, worried the fabric might tear or wear out, especially in windy conditions. I just ordered a new Edge tarp and decided to try tying off straight to the tarp. I'm (a little) less concerned with fabric stress and possible tearing with this tarp since it is much smaller and less susceptible to wind loads, but it's in the back of mind. Tying off right to a tarp sure seems like a popular pitching method, but I wonder if anyone ever has issues with tarps tearing, tabs ripping out, premature wear, etc. Experience?

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruxxx View Post
    I've had my Superfly tarp for a couple of years and have always pitched it over top of a continuous ridgeline, mainly so it is supported by the ridgeline to minimize fabric stress. I've never tied off directly to the tarp, worried the fabric might tear or wear out, especially in windy conditions. I just ordered a new Edge tarp and decided to try tying off straight to the tarp. I'm (a little) less concerned with fabric stress and possible tearing with this tarp since it is much smaller and less susceptible to wind loads, but it's in the back of mind. Tying off right to a tarp sure seems like a popular pitching method, but I wonder if anyone ever has issues with tarps tearing, tabs ripping out, premature wear, etc. Experience?
    Howdy... The tarp really isn't designed to set on top of the rl, due to the cat cut.. I have both tarps, and I would call them bomb proof, they really are very well made, and made to be pitched taught.. Especially the edge.. I would bet that little bugger is the toughest one in it's size compared to any tarp out there..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Images
    WB tarps have grossgrain(sp?) along the RL and all sides. There is really no way to overtension the sylnylon causing damage.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruxxx View Post
    I've had my Superfly tarp for a couple of years and have always pitched it over top of a continuous ridgeline, mainly so it is supported by the ridgeline to minimize fabric stress. I've never tied off directly to the tarp
    When you are saying tied off directly to the tarp, are you referring to a ridgeline that goes under the tarp instead of over it?
    I've not had any problems doing this, but I've only had my tarps for 1.5 years or so.

Honestly, I think either way is fine. Over, Under, V method.

Images
    WB doesn't recommend an over or under RL. The grosgrain along the top seam provides all the structural support needed.
    You just tie 12-15' of your favorite line to the metal rings provided.

Just got my new Superfly and will probably rig it like my old tarp with a ridge line and a Bishop bag. It's pretty nice having it all ready to go if the weather changes and real, real nice not dragging the tarp through the mud or dirt while fumbling with knots at the tree or the tarp. Don't see how it's any difference to the Superfly whether it's between two pieces of line or between two Prussics suspended from a continuous ridge line.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    WB doesn't recommend an over or under RL. The grosgrain along the top seam provides all the structural support needed.
    You just tie 12-15' of your favorite line to the metal rings provided.
    Can't see why a ridgeline over the tarp would be an issue, unless you're just trying to save line.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Can't see why a ridgeline over the tarp would be an issue, unless you're just trying to save line.
    I don't see an issue either. I assume WB shows a single line on each end because any additional support is not required. Grosgrain is pretty strong.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I believe that is the method Brandon prefers.. Off each end that is... I have always used prussics off the rl above the tarp, with no issues in serious winds.. rl under, kinda fights against the design imo..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    I believe that is the method Brandon prefers.. Off each end that is... I have always used prussics off the rl above the tarp, with no issues in serious winds.. rl under, kinda fights against the design imo..
    He does not recommend a CRL in the SF video.
    I think the OPs question is if you follow Brandons instructions of a single line at each end have you experienced tarp damage.

Last edited by OutandBack; 03-15-2014 at 19:07.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast