Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock

Hammock with cover or winter sock.

So I'm thinking about a dream hammock.
    I will be camping 90% in temps above 45F and 10% down to 35F. Maybe in the future I will try proper winter camping. Also I'm using TQ and UQ.

I'm thinking roaming gnome with just the bug net, and in the future buy a proper winter sock to cover the top AND the bottom of the whole setup (I like to use it even outside the skeeter season so doesn't have to be detachable).

Or maybe thunderbird to make it future proof, but I think I will have to buy an UQ protector anyway?

PS. I do sweat a lot so I'm a bit sceptical about the over cover.

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    Guys help me out before I go crazy...
    At the moment I'am waiting in line for a thunderbird from dream hammock but I have ordered it without the overcover (I wanted fully detachable bugnet). One of the big reasons I gave up on tents is my hate for the condensation and damp clothes and sleeping bag. Also the overcover would take away the opennes of the hammock and a tarp.

I will be camping very rarely close to 35F and I thought that the same effect of holding warm air in, can be achieved by throwing a fleece blanket over or something.
    And if I decide to go really cold, the winter sock or pod system would do better job anyway...

Another thing is that I can be very OCD sometimes and I dred the dilema before trip of "to take or not to take" the extra elements of the hammock just in case.

Am I making a mistake and giving up on a good concept, or would I be ok with my thinking.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    At those temperatures, I don't prefer a cover or sock. Part of my joy of sleeping in a hammock is that I feel connected to nature.
    That being said, if you routinely experience high winds, an underquilt protector or more coverage may be called for.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    That's what I have been thinking. Not a big fan of sleeping in a coffin. As for the UQ protector I rather carry the weight in tarp size.
    Am I right thinking that blanket over the hammock body (not the ridgeline) would create the same seald off space without collecting your breath?

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I have a thunderbird and love the overcover for temps in the 30s and below, but I rarely zip it all the way up - only in really cold temps. I usually zip it up about half way or a bit more. It traps some heat, blocks wind and also keeps my TQ in the hammock when I get in and out in the middle of the night.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I've got a clark nx-250 and when the weathershield (cover) is on, I simply sleep on my side, stick my face so its right on the edge of the hammock, and zip the weathershield up so just my face is exposed to the outside air. That way I have the best of both worlds... 1. my body (except my face) is probably at least 10* warmer cause its under the zipped up weathershield and 2. Because my face is the only thing not enclosed by the weathershield, all my breath goes outside the hammock...very little, if any, condensation. The downside is in the morning my face can be red and swollen because it was exposed to the cold air and wind all night.

• + New Posts