Tarp
    OES Deluxe/Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

How good is the weight transfer on the MMP

I have ruptured the last disk in my back. I need a pack that has very good weight transfer to the hips and minimal lateral movement of the load when moving over rough ground. The pack I am currently using (REI XT 85) is good at doing this but it weighs 5.4# empty. I need a pack that gives me the best of both worlds. Light weight but great weight transfer.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Don't lightly abandon a comfortable pack. Consider the load you carry. An ultralight pack can be uncomfortable with a medium heavy load. I have a MMP, and I like it, but my Aarn packs are more comfortable over the long haul.
    Last edited by WV; 03-15-2014 at 22:41.

Images
    I have a MMP also and am about to go on a trip which will see it loaded up. Previously I have only used it with a light load and really like it, however, after this next trip I will be able to tell you more.

Like WV mentioned though the Aarn packs have a good reputation for weight transfer to the hips.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Never heard a bad comment on Aarn packs.

So far, I've only used my MMP pack for trail maintenance days - excellent for carrying tools and customizing loadouts! So, I can't comment there...

From my admittedly limited experience, Deuter and Gregory pack suspensions transfer weight to the Hips very well and I've never noticed lateral movement when loaded and secured. Believe they weigh in closer to 2.5-5.0 pounds depending on size.

Best suggestion though is to begin to try to lighten your gear itself, whenever you have a chance. In summer I can backpack two nights using only a 55-60 liter pack (Gregory Savant). That's not ultralight. A lot of HF folks can do those trips with much less weight and bulk.

I hope to get that down below 50 liters as my heavier, bulkier gear is gradually replaced with lighter, less bulky gear. Winter... well that is a different matter...
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe/Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Thanks for the information. I'll start lighting up my load some more before i consider switching.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I have an earlier version MMP that I retrofitted with the aluminum bars that MacEntyre now uses (well used to use now there is the new Osprey). The bars make a V shape and end at the hip belt. The pack seems to do a good job of transferring weight to the hip belt. However the bars are not part of a rigid frame I think the weight could shift laterally. Wouldn't a rigid external frame pack be the best at stopping weight shift? Then again maybe having a flexible pack like the MMP would let the load sit more upright as you lean side to side?

I know it really depends on the trails you do but there is the Dixon Rollerpack that would not put any weight on your shoulders.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_807 View Post
    I have an earlier version MMP that I retrofitted with the aluminum bars that MacEntyre now uses (well used to use now there is the new Osprey).
    The new model also has aluminum stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_807 View Post
    I think the weight could shift laterally.
    The Molly Mac Pack is least flexible laterally. I believe for any pack, minimizing lateral shift is more a matter of tightening the shoulder straps, and loading it with the heavy parts low. I have always loaded Molly Mac Packs light up top, putting most of the weight on the belt, with excellent results. Another aspect of lateral shift is fore and aft. I find the MMP tends to sit closer to your back than most packs, making it less prone to pull you backwards.

At any rate, if one ordered a Molly Mac Pack and found that it doesn't work for any reason at all, it can be returned for a full refund.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts