Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Unfortunately, may not be back in house for at least six months, maybe longer. FEMA told us that it would take two to three years, but we were optimistic that wouldn't be the case. Well, it is definitely the case. A couple of the grants I'm waiting for approval can only be given if you have not begun construction, so you can't do anything. Very frustrating.
    I hear your frustration. OTOH you are technically homeless. Next time tell her yes. That should get her attention! ;-))
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I did a photo essay on the park a while back, a little slice of the Jersey Shore in beautiful Long Branch, New Jersey. Here it is.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=jackson+woods
    I enjoyed this essay. Thanks.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Read "Mao's Great Famine" a while back. Turns out that the people who were shunned and thrown out of their homes early on developed the necessary skills to survive and fared better than those who followed later. So the homeless have a skill set which we could use. Except for Falkniven. He already knows that kind of thing.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I met my wife in Allston, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston with a high homeless population. A new mayor came in and said, "No homeless in Boston!" so a lot of them moved to Allston.

My wife (then girlfriend) knew every homeless person in Allston, and so I ended up on a first-name basis with every homeless person in Allston.

Here's a story about my Boston homeless homey Mr. Butch.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=butch
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    People love the stories they make up. Sounds like where I work. When i started I was the youngest by 28years. Could cut the make-believe with a knife.
    Another story, We have a parkway in our area which is the gentleman's pickup area. Whatever you want I am not hating just telling the story.
    Anyways last year we go out geo cashing and end up in that area unknowingly on a "level 5" cash. It was the middle of winter we got our headlamps on and were are digging around this sign when a cop pulls up and starts ripping us a new a whole about do we know were we are, what are we doing and we show him our gsps and the geo app on out phones and I could tell he still though something was up.
    Whateve

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Those urban woods can be interesting for sure. I was hiking such a place last summer when through the clearing two coppers with guns drawn came onto the trail heading right for me. Turns out they were looking for a couple of guys and asked had I seen anybody, when I replied that I hadn't they told me if I do see them I might want to walk the other way. I took the short cut back to the truck that day..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11&quot;
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ &amp; down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; straps
    Fellow forum member P-47Chowhound, who lives a few miles away, called me up today and asked if I could take a look at a hammock he's having calf ridge issues with, and maybe put a ridgeline on it and help him sort it out. "Sure," I said. "Why don't we meet at Jackson Woods?" It's a park not far from my house where I walk my dog.

So we're setting up our hammocks when this nosey, little old lady strolls up. We were way back in the woods off the beaten path so she had to go out of her way to come back there and approach us. "Excuse me," she says. "Do you mind if I ask what you're doing?" So we explain to her that we're hammock campers and we're just testing out our gear. From the puzzled look on her face, you could tell she didn't buy our explanation.

"Can I ask another question?" she asks, and we say sure, fire away.

"Are you homeless?"

We got quite a laugh out of that, and assured her we were not homeless. We explained to her that we were campers and as we got older, sleeping on the ground wasn't as appealing, and that's why we sleep in hammocks. We even offered to let her give the hammock a try. She walked away less than convinced of our story.
    My uncle asked me a similar question when I expressed my affinity for camping in general, not just hammocks. He said "Why would you want to pretend you're homeless?" I find this particularly amusing coming from him as he has moved 4 times in the last decade, but stayed within a 50 mile radius. I guess his idea of "camping" is staying in a hotel with a full service mini-bar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345