Well, Nighthauk and I were on Scout duty yesterday and that included a fairly chilly night in the trees. Taking what I learned from my last failed attempt I was ready for the challenge. With my (at least) 0* UQ and TQ, UQ protector, expedition weight smartwool pants, down pants, expedition weight SW socks, down booties, UArmor cold gear shirt, fleece top, balaclava, down hat, down mitts, shemagh and four season tarp, I was ready for anything. Lol

It may sound like overkill for most people but I am always cold. And I knew that going in, so I needed to be prepared. I also has some hot water in a nalgene and a piece of reflectex under my feet. The wind was like a freight train and the temp went down to 16* without the windchill! I packed the snow around the bottom of the tarp to keep out as much as I could, but when I woke up the tarp was so stretched out from the wind that it was touching my hammock!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394994416.939050.jpg

I had a few casualties though. The tie outs that we dead manned in the soft slush the night before were encased under a few inches of solid ice. My only digging implement was Noghthauks knife, the I'm Down a few inches on a few on them. Lol

All in all, it was a good night. (It helped that I actually got up when I had to pee, instead if just laying there) I was actually warm for most of it and only had a little chill around 5:30. But I hunkered down, readjusted my TQ and went back to sleep.

A good night in the trees!