BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I switched to rappel rings when one of the triangles bent and cracked after three night's use. Don't know if it was bad to begin with or the triangles simply aren't made for someone in the 260 range. But no worries because the rings are solid as I could ever hope for, and my Blackbird is my palace in the air.

Rings don't hold nearly so well on their own, but with a simple overhand on a bight they are just as solid as triangles. Rings are MUCH easier to loosen and tighten.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    You will need the slipery half hitch on the tri-rings or you will be on the ground for sure.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    I am 250# and I have no problems with my triangles, but I never had problems with my rings either. The tris do seem harder to release, but I can live with that. I always use a half hitch as back up.

If anyone wants to get rid of their tris I would love to take them off of your hands.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Those of you that spend a lot of time in your hammock and use the triangles might want to give your webbing a good inspection. Granted, my hammocks get a lot of use and I use pretty lightweight webbing, but a couple of my straps have obvious wear down the center...right where the welds line-up.

Still rockin the triangles, but wanted to let everyone know of a possible issue.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    If you want triangles , like the ones used on WB Blackbird hammocks , you will have to get them from WBG Brandon.

At Trail Days in Damascus last month I asked him where he ordered them from. His reply was that he has them custom made by a metal/machine shop. So they are Not a stock item carried by climbing shops or similar supplier. ( at least that's how I recall the conversation )

Interesting that there is mention of wear on the webbing in-line with the weld on the BB triangles.

I don't recall just now if the triangles are of the equilateral shape or something different. If they are - could not the triangle be rotated such that the weld is on one of the sides that doesn't contact the webbing and not at the position of the straight bit over which the webbing runs or is pinched when the webbing is doubled back to pass between the two?

That being said - this parachute triangle looks promising:

http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...=550&parent=29
    Last edited by DavidWa; 06-15-2009 at 09:03. Reason: added link I had forgotten to add before submitting post

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    Interesting that there is mention of wear on the webbing in-line with the weld on the BB triangles.
    And coming from one of his junkies no less.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    I don't recall just now if the triangles are of the equilateral shape or something different. If they are - could not the triangle be rotated such that the weld is on one of the sides that doesn't contact the webbing and not at the position of the straight bit over which the webbing runs or is pinched when the webbing is doubled back to pass between the two?

That being said - this parachute triangle looks promising:

http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...=550&parent=29
    I flunked geometry (couple of times), but the triangles don't seem to line up as well when rotated; I tried that yesterday. I'm going to go back to some of my Strapworks webbing for a while and see if the issue is more about the webbing I'm using. I had some other minor damage show-up last weekend on the same type of webbing (OWF Woodland Camo Poly), so I'm wondering if it just won't last over the long haul.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Claytor JH, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & Mamba
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles / WS

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Wow, I bet those would work.

Images
    i've recently (in the last month) switched to a stronger weld for the newest batch of rings, but the weld itself does seem like it's wearing on the webbing a little. i tried turning them sideways so the webbing isn't running over the weld at all. it seems like the welds themselves keep the rings from laying perfectly flat against eachother and thus they slip easier. they still hold me fine with the backup knot, but i only weigh 155, and the hammock supports in my garage won't hold 2 people. i've not had a chance to test outside with me and my wife in the hammock, so don't know if the less bite from turning them sideways will keep them from working on heavier loads yet or not.

i've been considering looking into having something like a triangular cinch buckle made as well. it would be nice not to have to tie the backup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12