Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question Kids are getting hammocks... Advice?

Hello all,

I am a relative noobie to HF, been hanging for a couple years now and starting to get involved with group hangs etc. Over the last couple years my hammock has been on numerous family camping trips and inevitably I get kicked out back to the tent for a night or two so that my 7yr old and 9 yr old can have a turn spending a night in the hammock. Both are accomplished back country campers and love to sleep in the hammock. In the next few years they are likely to go on some fairly extensive trips. I just found out that the Grandparents would like to buy the kids their own hammocks for christmas so I need to come up with a suggestion as to which is best. Price is definitely a concern and bug net and tarp will have to be in the package, so I am looking for any advice on what the best value is out there for a complete set up with a specific focus on kid friendliness? Anyone out there have their kids using a non-custom set up? I would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cedar.
    ...to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    My two older kids (13 & 14) have Hennessy Hammocks Ultralite Backpackers. My youngest has a Grand Trunk Ultralight. They all seem very happy with them.

S.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hennessy Scout Zip is a good option. It has an integrated bugnet and it comes with a tarp, 42" tree straps and free snakeskins for $100. The tarp is small but works well enough for straight down rain. IMO $200 for two complete set ups is a good deal. The only thing I'd do is swap out the stock rope for some whoopie slings. If you buy or make them they need to be made specially for the hennessy with a longer fixed loop. This video shows a stitched bury but you can also do a locked brummel the way Dan showed you at the hang.

Just make sure this doesn't happen, and if it does take a picture or video of it.

Last edited by Bubba; 10-11-2012 at 03:37.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    If you're interested in being able to swap the suspension out, I'd recommend making a pair of long chain links (fixed loops), you can thread then through in the same manner as the whoopies, though the last hammock I saw bought from Hennessy no longer had the traditional "two holes" for suspension. They had swapped out for a sewn in piece of 2" webbing. If that's how your setup looks, then a simple larks head will do the trick. TBH I much preferred the older style of gather.

Dan.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Will second Bubba's suggestion of Scouts. I have two for my girls. I have slept in one several nights,was comfortable.
    If we can figure out a way you are welcome to borrow them to test out.

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks all,

Was surfing for a couple hours last night and the Hennessy does look like the best deal for the money. I will have to work on my rope work so that I do't trap the kids in their own bug net (thanks Bubba ) Jay I will let you know if we end up down that way but thanks for chiming in I knew your girls had a Hennessy just couldn't remember which one. Dan you may get an urgent message on or about the 24th of Dec asking for help with rope construction !
    ...to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Cost wise, the ENO SingleNest might be a better option, but by the time you add a bugnet and tarp, it may wind up being more expensive. Whatever you get them, do teach them what tree saver straps are and how to use them.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    No worries man.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Scout for my 7-y-o. He's just not real keen on staying by himself yet. I think we might do a Cub Scout campout in Nov and I'm afraid I might end up on the ground.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hi Jax

Hey Jax,

Glad to hear you chose Hennessy too. My daughters first time we both slept in the hammock, heads at opposite ends, I chose a warm dry night and made sure the tent was within talking distance so she could hear the rest of the family. Still put the hammock close and she can talk with us if she likes when she is in there alone. Also found that hanging a small l.e.d. light from the ridge line right above her head so she can read and/or turn it on if she likes helped.

Good luck with the camp out.

Cheers

Cedar

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast