HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies

Winter Tarp design - Looking for input

I want to make a DIY Tarp with built in doors. I'm starting with the DIY Gear Winter Tarp, but with modifications.

To that end, I made a CAD model of the flat tarp design, as available from DIY Gear, then changed things until I got something that looked right when folded into a functional shape. (See below)

The main part I'm hoping for input is on the total RL length...

I have a HH Explorer Deluxe, modified with a Ring on each end to attach to my suspension - currently whoopies. The measurement from ring-to-ring is 140". The DIY Winter tarp RL is 134".
    (I could probably shorten my length a bit, but haven't had a reason to yet.)

Since the Explorer, from what I understand, is about a foot longer than a 'standard' length hammock, I added 12" to the RL length. Does that seem reasonable?

Also, I wanted the doors to create a vestibule area, so I changed the wing portions until I got something that looked fairly useful, without being too huge.

diy gear tarp.jpg
    Would I be better to have a vestibule on one end only and keep the original door style on the other? Keep as I designed? Other?

Can I get thoughts, Please?

Thanks Everyone!

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    take a look at wilderness logics old man winter tarp. I highly recommend the locations of the 5 tie out points. for more vestibule space , don't cut back at the ends, think more rectangular shape to tarp, as it will give another foot to your vestibule. no I have not made any tarps, but I have researched most winter tarps before I bought mine last year (OMW), due to size, weight, cost and practical (tie outs for severe winter storms).

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    take a look at wilderness logics old man winter tarp. I highly recommend the locations of the 5 tie out points. for more vestibule space , don't cut back at the ends, think more rectangular shape to tarp, as it will give another foot to your vestibule. no I have not made any tarps, but I have researched most winter tarps before I bought mine last year (OMW), due to size, weight, cost and practical (tie outs for severe winter storms).
    To make sure I'm understanding you properly ....

You are suggesting having 3 tie-outs along the bottom, and to increase the length of the bottom, correct?

(I am planning on adding a couple of side pull-outs as well, I just haven't put them in my model.)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Update:

I made an error when measuring my hammock the first go.... it seemed odd that it was so much longer. Upon remeasuring, it was 11' 2" (134") NOT 11' 8" (140") like I stated in the first post.

I managed to get a bit shorter by adjusting the amsteel end loops coming from the hammock. It's now down to a much more respectable 10' 7" (127")

With this new info, I was able to shorten the tarp significantly and came up with a drawing for the flat pattern.
    diy gear tarp - dimensioned.jpg

When closed up loosely, the doors are flush with the end of the RL. In extreme weather, I can close them further and have a bit of an undercut shape, like the standard DIYG design. (I haven't added the side pull-outs to the drawing yet, but plan on 2 per side.

Thoughts??

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Winter tarps don't need as long a ridge line because the doors can close the space off. This will help with creating a micro climate.

Take a look at the plans at DIY Gear Supply

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I love the drawings! That was going to be the next step in my process, but I might "acquire" yours since we seem to be thinking along the same lines. I like the coverage of my current 11' hex, so my plan is to expand upon that. My thought is that a winter tarp is supposed to increase the coverage on the bottom to keep the elements off you and your gear better. To that end my plan is to use some form of vestibule design. I'm with you in the uncertainty of whether to have the ends the same or not. I'm leaning towards having them the same though. Instead of side pull outs I'm planning on doing an internal pole mod in an X pattern. This is a great deal on poles. Can't wait to see your final product.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    three tie outs just add more stability for a strong, blowing snow storm. keeps it tighter to the ground up the middle bottom of tarp. it is no longer than other tarps like superfly etc, just has that extra point to connect to ground.
    as for length, I just mean when taking the ridgeline, it tapers down towards the bottom so the bottom is shorter than RL. I would recommend to minimize that taper so the bottom of tarp is not as narrow. think of tarps like edge vs superfly from warbonnet. edge has narrow bottom, superfly is less tapered I believe( from the pics)
    Last edited by DeRozea; 03-24-2014 at 06:23. Reason: incomplete

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I love the drawings! That was going to be the next step in my process, but I might "acquire" yours since we seem to be thinking along the same lines. I like the coverage of my current 11' hex, so my plan is to expand upon that. My thought is that a winter tarp is supposed to increase the coverage on the bottom to keep the elements off you and your gear better. To that end my plan is to use some form of vestibule design. I'm with you in the uncertainty of whether to have the ends the same or not. I'm leaning towards having them the same though. Instead of side pull outs I'm planning on doing an internal pole mod in an X pattern. This is a great deal on poles. Can't wait to see your final product.
    I like the mini-pole mod that is used on the Superfly. I'm sure it's been used on other tarps, but I've seen it the most on that one. It shouldn't be that hard to put pole pockets in the corners .... I was planning on adding line holding pockets, like on the HH Hex. I believe the mini-pole method would be great was to add space without the extra weight of the long poles, plus keeping the lines separate will be easier on my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    three tie outs just add more stability for a strong, blowing snow storm. keeps it tighter to the ground up the middle bottom of tarp. it is no longer than other tarps like superfly etc, just has that extra point to connect to ground.
    as for length, I just mean when taking the ridgeline, it tapers down towards the bottom so the bottom is shorter than RL. I would recommend to minimize that taper so the bottom of tarp is not as narrow. think of tarps like edge vs superfly from warbonnet. edge has narrow bottom, superfly is less tapered I believe( from the pics)
    I'll have to try adding a 3rd tie out and see how it looks. At least that's pretty easy to experiment with on the CAD model.

I am planning on have the sides come virtually vertical when the doors are just slightly overlapped, giving a fairly large vestibule on either end, like in this picture. Is that what you are suggesting?
    diy gear style tarp - side view.jpg

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail View Post
    I like the mini-pole mod that is used on the Superfly. I'm sure it's been used on other tarps, but I've seen it the most on that one. It shouldn't be that hard to put pole pockets in the corners .... I was planning on adding line holding pockets, like on the HH Hex. I believe the mini-pole method would be great was to add space without the extra weight of the long poles, plus keeping the lines separate will be easier on my sanity.
    From a weight standpoint the mini mod is nice. However, from what I've read they don't hold up that well to strong winds and any real significant snow loads. I guess it depends on what conditions you intend to use the tarp in. You could also do both and pick your poles for the forecast.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end, or grand trunk uL
    Tarp
    Polycryo DIY CLEAR
    Insulation
    MYOG UQ Down +pad
    Suspension
    MYOG Whop, STraps,
    if you do it in blue tarp first you can see how you like the door setup, then move on to the keeper material.

sometimes it is faster than working it all out before hand

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast