WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug

Hennessey reflective pad

Any one have any experience with the Hennessey reflective pad? Thoughts and experience please :-)

Hammock
    HH Asym - looking to tweak
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Evolving
    I have a HH Super Shelter (HHSS) and I have used it with and without the reflective pad. I originally purchased the HH Insulation package because I wanted something that would "fit" the HH and I was also super excited when I started reading about the ability to use emergency reflective materials to keep weight down and increase warmth. Prior to that I used a makeshift undercover, extra clothes and a windshield reflector from AutoZone. The makeshift stuff was just that - my attempt to do something on the fly.

I used the closed cell pad and undercover from the HHSS with no real cold spots - but was in NW FL with fairly mild temps (upper 30s) and used my 30 degree sleeping bag as a top quilt.

I finally broke out the reflective pad last year a couple of times. I wasn't really testing or comparing so to say I was more comfortable would be misleading. I sometimes wear more clothes and less cover or just the opposite. Like all things, it takes some getting used to. The biggest hurry I get into is getting my shelter up so I can hurry up and relax! With that being said, it was pretty efficient hooking the shock chords to the hammock, etc.. and with my sleeping bag it wasn't uncomfortable, but I knew there was a stiff piece of cardboard or similar beneath me. It worked great as a frame inside my cheapo frameless pack.

If you are looking for an answer that states whether or not the reflective pad is warmer - I would say perhaps - slightly. But again that is my limited use and recall. I know for fact that the makeshift under cover, a bunch of clothes and a windshield reflector from AutoZone was amazing after trying to keep warm without understanding the airflow beneath the hammock!

I'm all about being comfortable and I believe I should have just committed to an under quilt long ago. I'm expecting one specifically made for the HH to arrive from Arrowhead this week!!

Wish I could be more helpful... Live, learn and read the forums!

I used it a couple weeks ago in NW Florida and found it to be too warm. It's also a vapor barrier and I had a damp bag in the morning. The temp that night was mid to low 50s. I had it under my sleeping bag and did not fasten it to anything. It moved around. Not my best night of sleep.

I'm in the process of figuring out what I want to do for a UQ. I am just now buying the Hennessy shelter. I think i'm going to like adding the extra wall and be able to put whatever I want in between depending on temp.
    Last edited by Slydah; 03-27-2014 at 15:40.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've used the HH pads and they provide an ample amount of warmth in the summer months. And yes, sweat/condensation can be a problem. I had to order their newer version, the double bubble radiant pad, last year since their previous pad had seen better days. The new pad is nice but very bulky.

• + New Posts