Thread: Thru Hike AT

Hammock
    Travel Hammock wtb BB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12

Thru Hike AT

OK, so I want to thru hike the AT after i graduate or my senior year of college. I know that isnt till 2013 but i am starting to plan now. How long does it take a normal person to go from Springer to Standing Indian?

I have already done Standing Indian to Fontana Dam, so i was thinking about doing Springer to Standing Indian either fall break or spring break, and then on the other break i will hike north from Fontana as far as i can go in a week and then in the summer ill start off where i left of and go to the finish.

Hope that made sense and do you think it would work?
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." Mark 10:27

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Your question would be better asked on WhiteBlaze. They specialize in AT information there. Here, we know about hammocks...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Travel Hammock wtb BB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12
    I was going to post there also but i started with here.
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." Mark 10:27

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Good for you nighthawk I wish I would have done it right after I graduated. I haven't hiked it but have read some good books on it. Try Walking For Sunshine, Awol on the Appalachian Trail, and A Walk in the Woods. Good luck!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk156 View Post
    OK, so I want to thru hike the AT after i graduate or my senior year of college. I know that isnt till 2013 but i am starting to plan now. How long does it take a normal person to go from Springer to Standing Indian?

I have already done Standing Indian to Fontana Dam, so i was thinking about doing Springer to Standing Indian either fall break or spring break, and then on the other break i will hike north from Fontana as far as i can go in a week and then in the summer ill start off where i left of and go to the finish.

Hope that made sense and do you think it would work?
    there are a lot of hangers at WB, but don't hesitate to post here for help with hammock gear and packs.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk156 View Post
    Fastest case scenario, 6-8 days. I can't remember how long it took me on my thru, i am thinking right about seven. Cause it took me two weeks to make fontana.

i'd rather get any advice here i could before i went to whitebalz.
    Last edited by whitefoot_hp; 06-23-2009 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    Fastest case scenario, 6-8 days. I can't remember how long it took me on my thru, i am thinking right about seven. Cause it took me two weeks to make fontana.

i'd rather get any advice here i could before i went to whitebalz.

That is some sound advice. Ron Haven owns a couple of hiker friendly motels in Franklin NC and does shuttles all over that region. He posts under his own name at WB. Ron is also the go-to man for info on how to access the trail via side trails. The good folks at the Hiawassee Inn also do shuttles, and I highly reccomend staying with them on your hike.

• + New Posts