Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I found the information on this thread very interesting.

A few years back I did some extensive experiments in an attempt to use friction hitches for a Single Line Suspension, SLS, System. It worked, but only if I used 1/4" diameter rope for the main rope and 3 mm or less diameter rope for the friction hitches.

Since then I have been very interested in trying to find a friction hitch that would work or some other means to replace the friction hitch.

I read about your UCR above and thought immediately that the UCR arrangement might be adapted to replace the friction hitch on an SLS.

I have a Bridge more or less permanently hung on a hammock stand in the basement using an SLS using 3 mm AS-78 as the suspension system. AS-78 is Samson Ropes version of a dyneema using the newest SK-78 and coated with their proprietary Samthane coating. I really love this rope. I'm very cautious in what rope I use for my SLS and in making my Bridges. This stuff is really remarkable for it's strength and exceptionally light weight.

I immediately pulled out my Selma fid for 1/8" rope, picked up a length of 1/8" Amsteel Blue and spliced the AS-78 down a section of the Amsteel Blue. The splice buries the AS-78 down the middle of the Amsteel Blue. I was hoping to replace the bowline on the end of the SLS with the splice and a spliced eye. The splice would allow the Amsteel Blue to slide on the AS-78 and hence make an easily adjustable SLS.

Alas, it is not to be. The splice slipped as soon as I tried sitting down in the hammock. It did not hold even as good as the friction hitches.

I then tried replacing the Amsteel Blue with some 1/8" Vectran. Same results. I was tempted to try replacing the AS-78 with 2.8 mm Spyderline with it's very rough polyester sheath in the hopes of increasing the coefficient of friction and maybe having a chance of having the splice hold. But the thought of going back to sheathed Spyderline for any reason was enough to stop me.

The friction bearing surface on 3 mm diameter rope is just too small using either friction hitches or splices to hold the forces present. Now I have the Bridge set up with approximately a 28 degree sag angle at the tree. So the forces are not multiplied out of too much proportion.

I have a suspicion that if I went to 1/4" diameter rope throughout, the arrangement would work. I get the impression that ZA2056 used 1/4" diameter rope. Is this true?

In going from 1/8" diameter rope to 1/4" diameter rope the friction bearing surface is multiplied by a little over 3 (pi to be exact). However, I rejected the use of 1/4" diameter rope for the SLS a few years back in my investigations of friction hitches. The weight and bulk of rope both increase exponentially with rope diameter, hence they are just too much. The same reason I eventually quit using webbing in my suspension systems - too much weight and bulk compared to 3 mm rope.
    Yes.... I use 1/4" Samson Tenex in my UCR's. I built some out of 3/8" Tenex, but they were too big (fat & heavy) for my original application. In my 1/4" UCR's with a half hitch lock, they don't move when used as a hammock suspension. I suspect the 7/64 stuff will not behave the same. I think a whoopie out of 7/64 would have a better chance of working in this application that the UCR arrangement.

-ZA

Quote Originally Posted by caboyer View Post
    Now I see... Thanks, Acer!

What threw me was that I've evolved to using a second toggle in place of the ring... my short term memory is turning to swiss cheese, I guess.

Chuck
    Hey caboyer... make a whoopie out of the 7/64 and see if it works. You can experiment with the buried section length and see how it works.

How much of the amsteel 7/64 do you have? I'd swap you some 1/4" Tenex for some of it (or 3/8 Tenex if ya wanted).

-ZA

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZA206 View Post
    Hey caboyer... make a whoopie out of the 7/64 and see if it works. You can experiment with the buried section length and see how it works.
    Hi, ZA!

I'll give it a try. Anybody know where to find friction coefficients for any of these lines?

How much of the amsteel 7/64 do you have? I'd swap you some 1/4" Tenex for some of it (or 3/8 Tenex if ya wanted).
    How much Tenex would the 10 inches of 7/64 Amsteel I have left get me?

Seriously, I just used the last few feet I had on this experiment. Not having proper fids, I found this stuff a real PITA to splice once it's been under tension, so I wouldn't wish that on you.

Best,
    Chuck

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I managed to salvage a 7/64 Amsteel UCR to make a whoopie sling, which I tested as an adjustable ridge line with my toggled suspension. It held just fine under more tension than I'd ever want to use. The buried section was about 2 full fids long. I think this is how I'll do ridgelines from now on.

I'll try it on a suspension line next, as soon as I can pick through my leftovers to salvage a whoopie sling of suitable length. Based on TiredFeet's reference to the Amsteel recommendation, I'll probably make the buried portion at least 4 fids long, to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by caboyer View Post
    I managed to salvage a 7/64 Amsteel UCR to make a whoopie sling, which I tested as an adjustable ridge line with my toggled suspension. It held just fine under more tension than I'd ever want to use. The buried section was about 2 full fids long. I think this is how I'll do ridgelines from now on.

I'll try it on a suspension line next, as soon as I can pick through my leftovers to salvage a whoopie sling of suitable length. Based on TiredFeet's reference to the Amsteel recommendation, I'll probably make the buried portion at least 4 fids long, to begin with.
    I have a nice set of slema fids that I never use... I use a modified aluminum "standard solid" fid (not sure of the name) to make my UCR's. It makes life ALOT easier.

Post up some pictures of your whoopie conversion.

-ZA

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZA206 View Post
    Post up some pictures of your whoopie conversion.
    Here is a quick shot I just took of the salient part of the ridge line. I'll take a better one in daylight after I've made some more 'polished' slings.

I think I need to get some new line, though; I can't quite get the running end inside the old line I'm working with. Please bear in mind that I'm a rank amateur at this. I'm using make-do stuff for fids -- coat hanger wire, meat skewers, darning needles... (the local hobby shop was out of metal tubing small enough for the 7/64 line)

Chuck

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images

Made whoopie in hammock!

Success!!! (Thanks for the suggestions, Acer & SA!)

It ain't the purtiest piece of work, but it does work. Finally salvaged another 7/64 Amsteel blue sling to fabricate a whoopie sling for the suspension. Here's the results (overview, tree end, working parts, buried section*):

SA, the buried section* was about 3.5 fids long.

I was able to adjust the setup multiple times, with no slippage at all. I need to test it more over time but this looks very promising.

Thanks again for the ideas, guys!

Chuck

*update: found out the buried section is called a "brummel" <-- ERROR!!

**correction: see Nacra533's later post, in which he defines everything nicely.
    Last edited by Frawg; 06-23-2009 at 20:43.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    I wish I knew how to manufacture something like that...

Is there any guides out there on the very weird web?
    www.fogelberg.info

If the hammock is rocking, don't come knocking

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BaloO View Post
    I wish I knew how to manufacture something like that...

Is there any guides out there on the very weird web?
    Here's a video. The rest of the site is worth checking out, too.

The tail end of the video mentions a pdf file of instructions at Yalecordage.com.

HTH!

Chuck
    Last edited by Frawg; 06-22-2009 at 17:59.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64&quot;whoopie sling
    I LOVE it Caboyer! Great work! I'll definitely do this with my 7/64" when it gets here and I make my hammock and tarp and... (you may notice I'm DIYing everything )

Acer

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast