Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hey from SE VA

Hey guys!

I grew up in Scouts and have been camping/backpacking with pretty much the same gear I'd had since I was 12 (I'm 30 now). I was saving up for a new pack since the strap on mine finally gave out on my last backpacking trip, but my sister and brother-in-law surprised me with a new LBT rucksack for my birthday, so I turned to upgrading my sleeping bag/tent.

After hemming and hawing for the last year, and being somewhat intrigued by hammock camping, I decided I'm going to take up this challenge and give it a shot.

Global Supply Solutions had a "end of winter" sale at their VA Beach pro shop this weekend, and I snagged an ENO Reactor Hammock and Guardian bug net for about $100, which I thought was a decent price.

They were all cleaned out of the rest of their hammock stuff, so now I've got to piece the rest of it together. The ENO Atlas suspension system looks pretty slick and easy to use (and $30 doesn't seem bad), but I'm going to do my due diligence and research what else is out there, especially lighter options. I have a pretty large rain fly left over from my A frame tent that I used to backpack with, so I'm going to see if I can make that work for this. I've got a lot to learn about how to properly set up the hammock/ridgeline/tarp etc.

The challenge is going to be that I don't get to backpack very often right now... maybe once or twice a year, so I primarily go in the fall/ winter in Shenandoah/ Blue Ridge... it gets pretty cold. I know staying warm with this hammock is going to be quite a challenge. It's 21 degrees right now in one of the spots that I like to backpack, and can def get colder... so this is going to be a learning experience... in the end, it might not work out, but I'm up for the challenge. My hammock has a pad pocket, so at least I've got that to work with.

-Jim
    Last edited by slimbobaggins; 03-17-2014 at 22:41.

You can hammock camp anywhere, anytime. Getting shot at might be a problem though , so stay low key...

Hammock
    ENO for now
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sh2dow View Post
    You can hammock camp anywhere, anytime. Getting shot at might be a problem though , so stay low key...
    lol... kinda random?

• + New Posts