Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who has the best buy for UQ's?

I've made a couple of hammocks and a tarp but I now need an UQ, I tried using a pad but that didn't work, couldn't stay on it. I've looked at making one but I would need time to research how not to screw it up and waste money so I'm considering purchasing one. In the groups opinion who has the best buy considering quality/cost for an underquilt?...or should I just take the time and make my own.

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    If you want to sort of make one, you could go with a shell from underquilts.com. You just fill it with down and sew one side. Very simple to do and the prefab construction is great.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's a loaded question. Like, Who has the best hamburger? or Who makes the best coffee?

You're gonna get toooo many responses. The best idea would be to contact a few of the UQ makers here and talk to them on what your looking for and go from there.

I've personally met Paul and Missy from UGQ and they are wonderful people and have top notch Quilts. Someone else will chime in with another vendor and UQ maker, so on and so forth. They are all top notch makers and great folks to talk to and deal with.

I'm a DIYer and make my own. If I did buy an UQ it would be from UGQ or for more hammock specific, if for a WBRR hammock, it would be from Warbonnet to match that WBRR. Same as a tarp for the WBRR. They're just made for each other.

That's just me, but I hope you get the UQ that makes you the happiest and warmest.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Too many good choices.

Are you looking for Full Length or 3/4

Down or Synth

Temp rating

Color of fabric

Custom size
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As the others have said: there is no "best buy". Only a best buy for your needs. Before you can figure out which offer suits your needs best, you need to figure out what your needs are. I'd like to add two more questions to gunner76's list:
    • how much money do you want to spend at most?
    • is weight very important to you?

For what it's worth, I recently purchased two Incubators from Hammock Gear. I wanted something lighter and warmer than I used in the past, and the Incubator was the only full-length underquilt that is offered in a short size, which fits my smaller stature. I could save a couple of ounces and still get more warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Too many good choices.

Are you looking for Full Length or 3/4

Down or Synth

Temp rating

Color of fabric

Custom size
    I'm thinking 3/4 length since that's what I see most of those with experience use, down, 20 degree or better rating, as long as it isn't pink color wont matter, needs to fit a 6'1", 180 lb person.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    As the others have said: there is no "best buy". Only a best buy for your needs. Before you can figure out which offer suits your needs best, you need to figure out what your needs are. I'd like to add two more questions to gunner76's list:
    • how much money do you want to spend at most?
    • is weight very important to you?

For what it's worth, I recently purchased two Incubators from Hammock Gear. I wanted something lighter and warmer than I used in the past, and the Incubator was the only full-length underquilt that is offered in a short size, which fits my smaller stature. I could save a couple of ounces and still get more warmth.
    Money is always an issue with me, I've been called cheap, but I like to think of it as frugal, dont mind spending the money but if I spend a dollar I want a dollar's worth of value.

Weight is very important, if I can't get my set up as low as my ground set up I probably wont use it. I've worked thru the numbers and can get there if I take a little weight off my tarp, which I can, and have a total weight of 2 lbs for the TQ and UG, I'll do the UQ first and if that works out proceed with a TQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    That's a loaded question. Like, Who has the best hamburger? or Who makes the best coffee?

You're gonna get toooo many responses. The best idea would be to contact a few of the UQ makers here and talk to them on what your looking for and go from there.

I've personally met Paul and Missy from UGQ and they are wonderful people and have top notch Quilts. Someone else will chime in with another vendor and UQ maker, so on and so forth. They are all top notch makers and great folks to talk to and deal with.

I'm a DIYer and make my own. If I did buy an UQ it would be from UGQ or for more hammock specific, if for a WBRR hammock, it would be from Warbonnet to match that WBRR. Same as a tarp for the WBRR. They're just made for each other.

That's just me, but I hope you get the UQ that makes you the happiest and warmest.
    I'm leaning toward the DIY, but the problem with doing anything the first time is that you only know how to do it right the second time, if you learn quick.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HG Incubator(s)
    Suspension
    Lines
    When I was in your boat, the one clear fact was the vendors who are active in this forum all make products worth considering.

Been very pleased with my Hammock Gear UQ's, but that's not to say other vendors here don't have great quality, too. It's clear many do, so....

My advice would be: Pick a vendor, email them, and he or she will get you tuned in.
    You're gonna want another soon anyway....

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    but if I spend a dollar I want a dollar's worth of value.
    imo, if you buy quilts from any of the cottage vendors on here you are probably getting better than your $1 for $1

i have seen quilts from everyone that makes them on here and everyone does fantastic work, that being said i have only met one of the makers and that is Paul at underground quilts and can tell you he is great guy and does exceptional work and would highly recommend him

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast