CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

A Question arised today

A question arised today, here is the original post:

Well, I don't know if this qualifies as a complaint or a concern, but here it is.

I've slept in my hammock over a dozen times since I got it. Usually, weekend trips with a few over nighters thrown in along the way. Something that I've noticed that I haven't noticed terribly with others.

The stock suspension webbing stretches. A lot. Friday, at lake murray, I hung my hammock as normal. tested it out, adjusted it and was satisfied it was the perfect height. Not to hard to get into, not too hard to get out of.

When I woke up saturday morning, I was considerably closer to the ground. Well, I've got the straps as high on the tree as I can reach (I am short) and the ridge line is as taught as I am comfortable with. I left the hammock alone and didn't adjust the suspension and sunday, I woke up about 6 inches from the ground.

Either I'm far more tubby than I suspected, or the straps stretch too much for my liking. Or, I'm too short to get them any higher on the tree. Has anyone had an issue like this? Did swapping out to a different strap resolve the issue?

After reading that post and not wanting to HI-Jack there post I thought I would post it here so my question is What is a good distance between tree's for a BB hammock I have hung mine in all different distances but what would be the perfect or near perfect distance between tree's to hang a Black Bird. Now I know that everyone has an opinion but I would like to here. And then I might post a Poll to vote on and see where everyone stands after I get different lengths or if someone else want's to head this up then by all means please do..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I like em about 15' apart. 12' would be about as close together as you'd want them.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I don't know the distance in feet but what I do is pace from one tree to another to to heal(soboriety test style) to 12 paces. That works perfect to for me and my feet. I like to use the minimum distance possible for all my hammocks.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree with Cannibal. If you get too close of a distance you are going to have problems pitching a tarp. I really pushed the limit once as I didn't have good tree choices to choose from close by so I couldn't get my tarp pitched as tight as I wanted to.
    Last edited by pizza; 06-15-2009 at 18:38.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

red herring

The hammock is a red herring. The tarp needs to have a ridgeline that covers the hammock. I like 2 to 3 feet on each end to pitch the tarp.

119" diagonal on a GoLite poncho + 30" twice = between 14' and 16'.

My standard guyline is 12.5' because I cut a 50' cord into 4 pieces. So just a little longer than a guyline cord.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    yes, you don't want to push the min too much (12-13 feet). 15' or so is ideal, you can go longer 18-20' and still get the same hang, but it's just harder because you'll have to put the straps alot higher on the tree for a long hang like that and that's just more of a pain to do. 15' or so is nice because you can still reach high enough without having to resort to climbing up the tree a little or using hp's to push the straps up the trunk or whatever.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I'm still pretty new to hangin but I would think that, around, 15' would be optimal for all hammocks. Am I wrong? I wonder how far apart someone has successfully hung.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Four to five paces is right for me. By hanging on the sides of large trees, I can make do with three paces.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Since the only "ideal" distance trees in my yard are either by the road or too small, I put a PVC pipe into the ground into which I slip a slightly smaller 10' galvanized steel pipe for hangin'. I put the pipe about 14' away from the closest edge of a large tree. I found that while this works okay for all my hammocks, a Speer Winter Tarp just fits without too much space left over so it's a little hard to adjust. I'm thinking of replacing the PVC with PVC set in concrete. If I do, I will increase the distance to 15', which seems about right. I think this works out to about 6 medium paces for me.

somewhere on here there is a drawing that shows how to hang the hammock depending on the spacing of the trees.

found it

Last edited by Ewker; 06-15-2009 at 20:42.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast