Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Extra space in the posts

I notice that (some) posts have a lot of blank space between the members' comments and the end of his message block. Is there a way to remove the unused space or is this part of the new format?

On another note, I did learn how to read more posts on one screen without having to manual progress through the thread's postings. An old dog can learn new tricks. Thanks TallPaul.

Keep up the good work Mods.

STinGa
    Last edited by STinGa; 03-19-2014 at 17:39. Reason: added some info
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I agree that there is more whitespace with the latest update. It would be nice to trim that down.

And glad you are still learning new tricks

Images
    its only as long as the box of info on the left is....

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    its only as long as the box of info on the left is....
    I'm thinking the box on the left grew taller

Well, turning off signature & avatars does allow more to fit on a page, but then again I like having those available.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I gotta say I'm not a fan of the extra space in each post. Even if all the posts are simple one-liners, I can only view 2 on my screen at a time with the browser window maximized -- there's like 20 blank lines being added to each short post. That requires a lot of extra scrolling to read a thread... I'm not sure there's any value in having all the user info in individual boxes under the avatar -- it adds a lot of height to each post. Also the signature doesn't come directly below the post, it comes a couple of lines below the lowest point in the avatar text. One last thing: I'm also finding that the color choices and smaller font size of the forum index pages is making it hard to read, whereas I didn't have any issues with the previous version. I'm all for a "new look", but not at the expense of useability.

I know there's a lot of great work being done by the Moderators here, and I really appreciate it and don't mean to belittle their efforts. It's a great site, that's a direct result of the work they do on a regular basis. I hope everyone will take this as constructive criticism (like "customer feedback" in the business world), because the more readable the site is, the more the members can focus on hangin'!
    "I'll circle in the helicopter with the camera while Jim flushes out the wild rhino on foot." -Marlin Perkins

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I gotta say I'm not a fan of the extra space in each post. Even if all the posts are simple one-liners, I can only view 2 on my screen at a time with the browser window maximized -- there's like 20 blank lines being added to each short post. That requires a lot of extra scrolling to read a thread... I'm not sure there's any value in having all the user info in individual boxes under the avatar -- it adds a lot of height to each post. Also the signature doesn't come directly below the post, it comes a couple of lines below the lowest point in the avatar text. One last thing: I'm also finding that the color choices and smaller font size of the forum index pages is making it hard to read, whereas I didn't have any issues with the previous version. I'm all for a "new look", but not at the expense of useability.

I know there's a lot of great work being done by the Moderators here, and I really appreciate it and don't mean to belittle their efforts. It's a great site, that's a direct result of the work they do on a regular basis. I hope everyone will take this as constructive criticism (like "customer feedback" in the business world), because the more readable the site is, the more the members can focus on hangin'!
    no blank space on that post...

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I'm thinking the box on the left grew taller
    Exactly. More lines and more 'spacing' before and after each line in the box.
    This has been mentioned in one of the other 'feedback about the changes' threads.....but I don't think any changes are in the works .....

Images
    is this only an issue on cell phones? I have my comp plugged into my tv and also have the signatures turned off, and have no issues. I guess it's exaggerated on the little phone screens?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    is this only an issue on cell phones?
    No it's bad on PC's.

I posted this on another thread but it bears repeating.
    Here's a comparison of the standard view (LEFT) vs. VB4 Default (MIDDLE)(which has no equip info by default) vs. VB4 Default with no signatures (RIGHT).

It doesn't compare the new site to the old, but you can definitely see the difference adding the equipment info makes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    no blank space on that post...
    On my screen, my previous post still shows up as half-blank, even after I turned off avatars and signatures to make it smaller. I guess it depends on the width of your screen and how many times the text in the message wraps around. If I make my browser window tall and skinny, the wrapping text fills up the blank space (or even becomes bigger than the equipment list at the left, making the message longer). It looks to me like the minimum message height is about 18-20 lines, though, depending on how many details people put in their equipment list.
    "I'll circle in the helicopter with the camera while Jim flushes out the wild rhino on foot." -Marlin Perkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast