DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Some tents [and hammocks for that matter] are more brightly colored because when your tent bound for weather reason, a brighter color helps keep your spirits up.
    I can understand that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Metavo View Post
    I live in place where there's a threat of future invasion, so i'm thinking about getting camo hammock and tarp for myself, but overall, I'm really confused.
    Just want to ask what are the benefits of camo pattern?

Are you shy?

Ok, but really, I can understand it's a benefit in places where hammocking is restricted but is there any such place? If you are a hunter of wild photographer then swinging in a hammock would really mess with your aim.

Personally i don't see any reasons to hide from people and what comes to animals, the more aggressive color the smaller the change of animals running into your hammock, so, why camo?
    If my country was invaded I don't think I'd be hanging in a hammock. Camo is very tricky to match up to your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Camo is very tricky to match up to your surroundings.
    Really? Could you explain that in more detail?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Camo is very tricky to match up to your surroundings.
    Only if you use that orange camo. Being able to detect most camo is a function of distance. Some patterns work better at shorter distances than others, but in the woods, that's the only real difference.

I use the 1.1 MarPat camo that DIY gear supply sells for hammocks because its 64-68" wide and costs less than $5.00 a yard (camo is not necessarily expensive). I use Duro Epsilon in Multi-Cam because that's the only color Epsilon comes in and I think its a superior lightweight (1.5 oz/yd) fabric for wind and water resistance for the outer shell of a quilt. I've used the 1.1 MarPat for an inner shell for the reasons stated above, and I've used a Russian camo taslan as well because of the width and the price, and Russian camo is kinda cool---nobody I know has anything made out of it.

I also like the reduced visual impact noted above, not because I camp where its illegal to camp----but because I camp where its legal for everybody to camp.

I spent 11 years in the Army, but everything was OD back then, so the camo doesn't affect me.

Then there's the zombies. Zombies can't see camo. Everybody knows that. They'll walk right past you laying in your hammock and go right for that dude in the Henry Shires tarp tent in Electric Blue every time.
    Last edited by sargevining; 03-19-2014 at 22:03.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    If your camp is set up and you're else where, it is less likely to be seen by someone who would like to take a thousand dollars of camping gear.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Metavo View Post
    Personally i don't see any reasons to hide from people and what comes to animals, the more aggressive color the smaller the change of animals running into your hammock, so, why camo?
    Not so, most animals are color blind to some extent so color makes little difference; and, in one study, muted colors had less 'curiosity' visits by black bears than the very bright colors. This resulted in fewer camper to bear encounters; in which the bear usually wins.

I wear bright colors to concerts and while I'm in the city; in the woods I want to blend in, camo is for blending in.

Plus, I'm a redneck, so there's that too...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Most camo people seem obsessed by it - some people buy camo cuben fiber tarps, which just boggles my mind, 'cause the camo cuben fiber weighs a lot more than the regular CF, and didn't you buy a CF tarp to save weight?

I avoid camo for one reason only - it usually costs more, but most of my stuff is earth-toned (with the exception of the CF tarp). Site selection can play as critical a role in camouflage as a pattern.

Also, I'm blind as a bat, so anything that makes it harder for others to find my site, means that I'll also have a harder time finding my site. Sometimes I have a hard time finding my hammock in the woods!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    I dont like people so when they dont see me I dont have to deal with them. Just kidding but I see much more wild life when I blend in with color. I walked on 3 deer today, about 20feet away wearing earth tones. Not so with bright colors. They were having troubles seeing me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneE4 View Post
    Really? Could you explain that in more detail?
    In a hardwood forest in winter everything is gray(treebark)/white(snow)/brown(leaves on ground) so green toned camo would stick out
    In a hardwood forest in summer everything is green and gray so brown toned camo would stick out
    In a hardwood forest in fall everything is red/orange/yellow/brown so green tone camo would stick out

In a pine forest everything is green/ gray/ redish brown(pine needles on ground)

Then you have desert, beaches, jungle, canyonlands the color spectrums are endless
    and no one camo covers them all.

Pick a camo color and it's good for one type of terrain and one season.
    hth

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    In a hardwood forest in winter everything is gray(treebark)/white(snow)/brown(leaves on ground) so green toned camo would stick out
    In a hardwood forest in summer everything is green and gray so brown toned camo would stick out
    In a hardwood forest in fall everything is red/orange/yellow/brown so green tone camo would stick out

In a pine forest everything is green/ gray/ redish brown(pine needles on ground)

Then you have desert, beaches, jungle, canyonlands the color spectrums are endless
    and no one camo covers them all.

Pick a camo color and it's good for one type of terrain and one season.
    hth
    this is a good reason to having more than one tarp in more than one color/pattern.
    I have not set up my duck hunter tarp shelter in the woods yet, but I have noticed that the green camo tarp works pretty good in the mixed pine/hardwood forests in Oregon.....especially with all the ferns underneath... (This is an excellent reason for using MARPAT type of camos).... but I have also noticed at my friends property, there are a lot of dried brown grasses and undergrowth under the pine trees so that is one area a brown toned camo or a coyote tan camo could blend in better..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast