Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Hi, I am jnunniv and I have a problem....

I'm fairly new to hammock camping and like most people, I spent a TON of time on here researching to see what gear I wanted. My goal was to purchase the gear once and it last me many years before another purchase was made.

I was so happy when my gear arrived and thought I was set forever!

Then I went to a group hang.

I now have a problem. Although I have great gear, I have found new things I NEED or NEED to replace....

My double layer WBBB has a new home and I have an order pending for a single layer WBBB. That's my spring/summer hammock. Now I need one without a bug net for fall/winter.

That perfect Mamajamba with doors? Yep, it now has a new owner and I have a Superfly on the way also.

No sew pole mod for Superfly? Yep, that's on the shopping list too!

Why should I always have to bend over to find a flat(ish) spot to cook when there is a light weight tree shelf? I added that to the list.

Ounces make pounds, so why not order some titanium stakes in the near future as well?

I love my canister stove, but an alcohol stove is so much lighter. SO many options here....

Although I stayed warm, that Patagonia Nano Puff looked awfully nice and so much thinner (and lighter) than what I have.

Rain mitts? I've never heard of them but they sound like something I need.

Once I replace everything, the ULA Circuit may be too big. ULA Ohm 2.0 may have to be added to the list.

I'm scared to think about the DIY possibilities or upgrading to Cuben Fiber!!!

I admit I have a problem, so at least the first step has been taken.

Everything I have WORKS, but now I have gear envy. I now understand why people are gear junkies. I want to try EVERYTHING.

Please tell me I'm not the only one!
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 04-11-2014 at 14:55.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Glad you could admit to having a problem. That's a start at more gear lol.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

The Lowcountry - SC (previously Boston, MA)
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Slings, Dutchware
    this is funny stuff. I think a lot of folks on here are the same. I'm constantly adding or changing gear. Backpacking in general i think is a pretty cheap hobby compared to others. I know people that deep sea fish. Now that is an expensive hobby. $1,000 or more in gas just for one trip.

Trying out one stove on one trip and changing it up for the next trip is part of the fun. Good thing is that most quality gear can be easily sold on here, if necessary, to other gear heads. It's the circle of life.
    fishwater youtube channel: Check out my channel to see backpacking in New England

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    The first step to hammock enlightenment is to admit that you will always need more!
    There is no second step!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    I hear ya...I'm new, but when I get the itch to go on a shopping spree I just try to be realistic about my particular needs. I'm big into kayak fishing, so the gear I'm using to sleep in is a very small portion of my gear for a weekend out, and my truck is usually nearby. I'm accumulating a few nice pieces here and there, but it's mostly because I like quality products that work and last. They just happen to be nice and light/packable at the same time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Welcome to the support group! Oh, and that Nano Puff really is nice.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Images
    Brother, you are not alone. It's a common disease which is very easily contracted at group hangs. Some have found they have a genetic predisposition to this disease when they catch it from simply reading the forum and looking at photos.

Yes, perhaps the first step has been taken but the choice is up to you what the next step will be. There are choices to be made.

1. Will I hide all my gear purchases from my wife and lie when asked if I know who Adam is and why did he charge us $450 for something and what is a UQ? This is a path of denial which is not just a river in Egypt.

2. Will I start sneaking money out of the joint account and hide it in a personal account no one else in my family knows about and have all shipments sent to my work? This is also a path of denial and subterfuge. Bonus points if you can make your wife think she is the one over drafting the account.

3. Get a second or perhaps even a third job to support your addictio...err habi....I mean your prescribed medication. This is a good option but one that requires you come clean to the spouse. Assuming you didn't already take options 1 or 2. If you did. Mums the word and break out the Thesaurus for additional options on explaining why you need to deliver pizzas on the weekend.

One last thing to remember. You may call it an addiction, a gear habit or perhaps even hoarder. However, there is one immutable truth to remember.....

It's only an addiction, IF you're trying to quit!

That will be $200. PM for the PayPal account. I have some gear to buy. Pleasure assisting you today.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    No, you're not the only one! I suffer from gear envy and think I need more cool gear and gadgets.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I'm scared to attend the MAHHA hang in a couple of weeks for this very reason.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post

1. Will I hide all my gear purchases from my wife and lie when asked if I know who Adam is and why did he charge us $450 for something and what is a UQ? This is a path of denial which is not just a river in Egypt.

2. Will I start sneaking money out of the joint account and hide it in a personal account no one else in my family knows about and have all shipments sent to my work? This is also a path of denial and subterfuge. Bonus points if you can make your wife think she is the one over drafting the account.

3. Get a second or perhaps even a third job to support your addictio...err habi....I mean your prescribed medication. This is a good option but one that requires you come clean to the spouse. Assuming you didn't already take options 1 or 2. If you did. Mums the word and break out the Thesaurus for additional options on explaining why you need to deliver pizzas on the weekend.

One last thing to remember. You may call it an addiction, a gear habit or perhaps even hoarder. However, there is one immutable truth to remember.....

It's only an addiction, IF you're trying to quit!

That will be $200. PM for the PayPal account. I have some gear to buy. Pleasure assisting you today.
    HAHAHA I was going to send you the $ requested, but I now owe work a new keyboard and monitor.....
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast