WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners

Ideal Topquilt Length

I have a question on the ideal topquilt length. I have a 20*, 78" x 50" Flight Jacket that I love. I'm 5'7", near 2 bills, and broad shouldered. The width is great. The length "feels" overly long in that, when snapped / cinched around my neck, I end up with a big poof of quilt that folds up over my chin and to my lips. Though a bit annoying sometimes, that "poof" acts as a thick neck gaiter that unquestionably adds a ton of warmth and seals out any chance of a draft. If I were to get another 20*, or certainly 0* TQ, I'd probably stick with the 78" length for the extra neck coverage.

I'm now seriously thinking about ordering a 40* or 50* Flight Jacket for late spring thru early fall hanging. I don't need the extra fabric (warmth) around my neck in those temps and I'd like to pare down packing size and weight, so I'm thinking of a shorter, 72" x 50" quilt. Experimenting a little, if I kick the foot box on my 78" TQ way down so the quilt is flush with my neck, I don't have all that bulk (or warmth) up to my chin, but the shoulders and elbows feel a little snug. I worry a little that a 72" quilt might feel "too" short or cramped. (I'd also hate to shorter, only to go wider.) The website reads that 72" quilts fit up to 5'9". Does that mean, "marginally" or "comfortably"? Again, 5'7", here. What are most people at that height finding is the most comfortable TQ length?

Images
    I am about the same height as you and 72" is my go to length.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruxxx View Post
    I worry a little that a 72" quilt might feel "too" short or cramped. (I'd also hate to shorter, only to go wider.) The website reads that 72" quilts fit up to 5'9". Does that mean, "marginally" or "comfortably"? Again, 5'7", here. What are most people at that height finding is the most comfortable TQ length?
    Fit is a personal preference and we do our best to make the quilt a bit big based on sizing chart. I'm 6'1" tall and I can use a 72" quilt, it comes up to my chin with slight pressure on the foot box. Personally I prefer a roomier quilt and use a 78" for my go to size, others prefer a snug fit, and then there are those that are somewhere in the middle. Cold weather I like a quilt long enough to pull over my head, summer weather not as important to be able to pull over my head.

At 5'7" you should still have plenty of room in a 72" quilt to be comfy....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts