Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by Talox View Post
    I am also interested in making one of these. Can anyone have provide measurements for a finished chair. I'm assuming 29 by 60 based on the pictures i've seen with a 4.5" channel top and bottom. making it 30x70 prior to sewing.

Am i close?

edited.....
    to turn it into a backpack cover I assume all you would need to do is put additional channels up the sides and run 12 feet of shock cord through the channels.

though depending on the size of your backpak 29" may not be enough
    38"x38" for 3 of the 4 that I have.

Here is a picture using a 1" poly strap around the tree and a .625" x 27" aluminum tent pole section reinforced with a carbon arrow shaft cut to 27".
    Total weight is 17.6 oz. If I set up one of my other rigs with the multicam, it would probably shave an ounce. You could also go with a tough single layer, but I would worry about the stress on the 'pocket' where the pole sticks in.

I think it would be more comfortable with different dimensions and pole length, but it would just be trial and error. I am going to stick with the telescoping aluminum pole from Fanatic Outdoors even though there is about a 12 oz weight penalty. The adjustability is so nice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Excellent! I've made a backpack cover/gear hammock/lunch break seat a while back, but my seat option needs 2 trees (small hammock, really).

So with this option I could set it up even more flexible. I'll play around with it and see if I can maybe use a telescoping hiking pole as pole.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba74 View Post
    Excellent! I've made a backpack cover/gear hammock/lunch break seat a while back, but my seat option needs 2 trees (small hammock, really).

So with this option I could set it up even more flexible. I'll play around with it and see if I can maybe use a telescoping hiking pole as pole.
    I tried my telescoping hiking pole, but it just wouldn't go short enough. Your model might work.

Hammock
    Half-Wit
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    straps/dutchware
    Attachment 82854

I read a suggestion on an earlier post saying crutches are cheap and plentiful at GW. (true) I cut the crutch down at the hand grip and ran my bottom channel through the armpit thing and re-installed it on the cutoff. Seems pretty stable and the crutch has an extension range of about 8". Now I just need to get it out in the field to work out the kinks.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Any updates on this type chair - I just saw the chair on fanatic outdoors, was wondering how to make a DIY, thought to myself, I wonder if the guys on HF...?
    Sure enough, you all have already been there and done that, this site is awesome! Based on the two threads I've read, it seems like a finished hemmed hammock of 38 x 38 is the target size? I'm going to try the webbing pocket idea and see if I can use my hiking pole to save weight.

I was surprised to see on the fanatic outdoors (or may have been the dead ringer site, they make what appears to be the exact same seat at the exact same price) that the tree strap they use just attaches with a plastic fastek buckle? I was surprised this was strong enough? Anyone have one break on them? Is this all thats needed strength wise because it hangs at such a steep vertical angle from the single tree? It certainly a handy and cheap solution if it holds up.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Wow that is a comfy looking chair.

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    I have the Fanatic Outdoors version.
    That buckle has help up perfectly through two hunting seasons.
    Surprised me too!

Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Any updates on this type chair - I just saw the chair on fanatic outdoors, was wondering how to make a DIY, thought to myself, I wonder if the guys on HF...?
    Sure enough, you all have already been there and done that, this site is awesome! Based on the two threads I've read, it seems like a finished hemmed hammock of 38 x 38 is the target size? I'm going to try the webbing pocket idea and see if I can use my hiking pole to save weight.

I was surprised to see on the fanatic outdoors (or may have been the dead ringer site, they make what appears to be the exact same seat at the exact same price) that the tree strap they use just attaches with a plastic fastek buckle? I was surprised this was strong enough? Anyone have one break on them? Is this all thats needed strength wise because it hangs at such a steep vertical angle from the single tree? It certainly a handy and cheap solution if it holds up.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post

If you're worried about the buckle you can wrap the tree twice or use d rings instead.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY DUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie's
    wonder if the bushman's hammock chair can be modified to work the same way ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubanredneck View Post
    wonder if the bushman's hammock chair can be modified to work the same way ?
    It probably could. I just ordered one at their current sale price. I have been messing around with a GT UL for hunting. I just gathered the foot end just in front of the pocket to make it short enough.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast