Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Frankenchair

Here is my combination hammock chair with the "wilderness hammock frame" and the telescoping aluminum brace from The Hammock Seat (Fanatic Outdoors). I changed the stock seat out for a lightweight version made for me by Jared at Simply Light Designs.
    I will mainly be using this for turkey hunting. The advantages to having the telescoping pole brace are that I can make the tripod from wood found on the ground OR just use a tree when available.
    My next mission is to figure a lightweight solution to make a tripod base that I can pack in and use inside my pop-up tent blind.
    Would I be able to get aluminum poles that are strong enough for this application? Tentpoletechnologies has .742 diameter 7075-T9 tubes with 96,000 psi tensile strength.
    I am not too concerned with weight, just ease of setup and comfort.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    interesting my wheels are turning.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I actually ordered some .625 aluminum poles from Quest. I am going to try to make a portable version. I will update with results.

Hammock
    Eno, until I DIY
    Tarp
    Eno, until I DIY
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    don't know if this helps, but instead of using three poles, you could use one vertical pole and 2-3 good straps anchored to the ground with good stakes. kinda like how they do telephone poles. It'd be much lighter to only carry one pole. just an idea.

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    That sounds so amazing to have after a long day hiking
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsrunner View Post
    I actually ordered some .625 aluminum poles from Quest. I am going to try to make a portable version. I will update with results.
    I'm very interested in your results with the aluminum poles from quest. Will you PM me with any threads you start on your results? I have a frame I built from crutches that works pretty well, but I've found different crutches are different lengths making it difficult to make multiple units without having to readjust measurements, etc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Anyone have some sort of a drawing on how this is made? Looks like something that could be incorporated into a backpack raincover/gear hammock design, but I can't really see what it looks like flat out and how you set it up.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    I am also interested in making one of these. Can anyone have provide measurements for a finished chair. I'm assuming 29 by 60 based on the pictures i've seen with a 4.5" channel top and bottom. making it 30x70 prior to sewing.

Am i close?

edited.....
    to turn it into a backpack cover I assume all you would need to do is put additional channels up the sides and run 12 feet of shock cord through the channels.

though depending on the size of your backpak 29" may not be enough
    Last edited by Talox; 03-25-2014 at 17:22.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Update: I got the poles from Quest and hastily set it up to test before I had to go to my daughter's soccer game, which was a bad idea. I had it working, but tried to tweak the comfort level. I was on uneven ground and put way too much stress on one of the poles and bent it slightly. I bought some extra poles, so I will try to fine tune it when it quits snowing.

I will lay it out tomorrow and take some pictures and give some measurements.

Yes, it would work as a pack cover by ruining some shock cord down the vertical seams- great idea.

BTW, I have four of these with different dimensions and materials. Two from Fanatic Outdoors (that came with the telescoping tree brace) and two from Jared at Simply Light Designs. I remember that I paid $40 delivered for the one that has 1.9 Multicam outer layer and 1.1 Olive inner from Jared. Of course, that is just for the hammock seat.

I would imagine that someone with a thread injector could do this DIY for about $12 to $20 worth of fabric plus the poles/suspension.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Here is an old thread showing how to do this if you Have at least one tree available:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68861

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast