Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

Sipsey River Paddle/Hike/Hang - June 12-14

This weekend was the scheduled June Sipsey Hangout. The original plan was to camp-out at Brushy Lake Campground and take day trips, but due to scheduling conflicts only 3 of us got to make it. So, we made the most of having a small group and changed our plans to a weekend backcountry paddling/hiking/hang. It was fantastic.. Ihangnbankhead, Hetairoi, and myself all had a great time.

Friday - Ihangnbankhead and I met early and grabbed some last minute supplies before heading into the National Forest. We weren't sure of the water levels on the stream we wanted to paddle, so we made the drive and took a good look. The water was questionably low, but no worries, we had other paddling options. There was also plenty of rain in the forecast, and the chosen stream would have been fine..but we didn't take any chances and moved our trip to a section of the Sipsey River. We called Hetairoi (who was on his way) to tell him the change of plans, we staged my truck at the take-out-point, and drove to the meet up spot. Once Hetairoi arrived, we all loaded up our boats and hit the river. It was a beautiful, colorful, and overcast late afternoon start. As the light of the afternoon faded, the storm clouds quickly blew in and we found ourselves paddling in what can only be described as a deluge. We knew the approximate location of a great bluff-shelter camping spot, though, so we paddled on and enjoyed the more robust weather we found ourselves presented with. We made it to the site just as the last rays of light faded away, and got our camp set up. Soon we enjoyed a roaring campfire, fired up a grill for dinner (hot dogs, grilled corn), and enjoyed talking late into the night while watching the storm blow from the protection of the bluff-overhang before retiring to our hammocks for the evening.

Saturday - We woke pretty late, but there was no rush and no plan. Ihangnbankhead cooked us a wonderful breakfast (bacon and eggs), while we talked and decided to spend the day hiking and exploring. The area we were camped in was surrounded by several narrow rocky canyons that we couldn't resist prospecting for views. Plus, we knew that the waterfalls would be in full force after the storm (the river was up over 3 feet). So, after breakfast, we headed out and enjoyed the canyons. The views of the bluffs, waterfalls, foliage, and ledges didn't disappoint. We returned to camp mid-afternoon just in time to light the grill, have a cool shower in a nearby waterfall, have lunch (bratwurst) and a nap. Life was good! A little more exploring took place after the nap, and we returned to the bluff-shelter as dark approached. Ihangnbankhead again prepared a wonderful dinner (grilled chicken with white-sauce, fresh corn-on-cob, fried potatoes with bacon and cheese, and peach tea), and we again enjoyed the campfire chat late into the evening.

Sunday - We woke and took our time having breakfast and loading the boats. Since we didn't paddle any the day before, we had plenty of miles to make on-river. Away we went, enjoying the views.. After about an hour, though, yet another howling storm overtook us. We found shelter under a rock-outcropping that hung over the water about 20ft, and lounged in our boats while the wind, rain, and lightning raged. It was an amazing view from that little shelter. As the worst blew over, we continued on...of course stopping to explore the views of a couple of spectacular waterfalls, more overhangs, a scenic tributary creek, and an amazing whirlpool. Another fantastic day on the water.. We even topped it off by having an early dinner at a nearby restaurant before hitting the road. Hetairoi wouldn't try the Frog's Legs from the menu, though!

So, this planned car-camping event turned into a full-on Sipsey adventure. A great time was had by all, and the memories will be cherished...

Enough rambling, though...some pics!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Some more pics...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    A few more...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    And a few more..

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Just a few more...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    One last time...

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Looks like ya'll had a good time. Maybe I'll get to go on the next one..... I had a great time at the wedding........NOT

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Great pictures!!! Beautiful place for sure!
    Was that a boy swinging his banjo up on the bridge above the river???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tough to beat Sipsey in the rain, especially if you have bacon and potatos and corn and chicken ... and a huge bluff to sit under. Thanks Ihangnbankhead and Sparrow for a very relaxed weekend.

Oh, and I have to add my highlight of the weekend, chasing my brand new unused golite ultra 20 down the hill! I did not allow it to hit the water. Sadly, this was not true of my water bottle

Spotted the rolling stuff sack with my headlamp and made a diving save. I don't think I could have come back to the forum had it went in
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Maybe I'll get to go on the next one.....
    We missed having you along, skippy! Hope you can make the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Great pictures!!! Beautiful place for sure!
    Was that a boy swinging his banjo up on the bridge above the river???
    Maybe. You should come to one of the Sipsey hangs and find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Hetairoi View Post
    ...chasing my brand new unused golite ultra 20 down the hill!...
    I'll vouch for him on that! Very amusing and amazing.. If you look at the pictures of how steep our campsite was, and consider that it was the quilt's first trip...it was a great, and well deserved, save of a rolling-quilt in the dark!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast