Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images

Adjustable Ridgeline with locked brummel

In a video I watched the guy sewed the bury rather than using a locked brummel. Any advantages or disadvantages structurally speaking doing one over the other?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    When you use a locked brummel the bury at the end is just to hide or tuck that tail end away. The sewn method is to keep it from backing out when not under constriction. I feel a lot more secure using the locked brummel but you do pose a good question. Which one is stronger scientifically? My money is on the locked brummel.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    That's my thinking as well. I made one for my buddy and used the locked brummel. Personally I like using it and wouldn't do the sewn method unless it was more structurally sound. Even then,I used amsteel.

Just very curious about the strength comparison

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The strength of a spiced line comes from the friction in the bury. Either the brummel or stitches are done merely to prevent accidental pull-out of the bury when the line is not loaded. So, it doesn't matter which one you choose, just don't skimp on the bury.
    And don't skimp on the taper either. Failure of splices, otherwise done correctly, almost always occur where the diameter rapidly changes at the end of the bury.
    If you go the stitch route, make the stitches by hand and make them very loose. When the load is applied, the inner and outer cords shift a bit relative to one another. Tight stitches can be broken at this stage.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    When you use a locked brummel the bury at the end is just to hide or tuck that tail end away....
    This is incorrect. The strength is intended to be in the bury and the locked brummel serves the same purpose as lock stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The strength of a spiced line comes from the friction in the bury. Either the brummel or stitches are done merely to prevent accidental pull-out of the bury when the line is not loaded. So, it doesn't matter which one you choose, just don't skimp on the bury.
    And don't skimp on the taper either. Failure of splices, otherwise done correctly, almost always occur where the diameter rapidly changes at the end of the bury.
    If you go the stitch route, make the stitches by hand and make them very loose. When the load is applied, the inner and outer cords shift a bit relative to one another. Tight stitches can be broken at this stage.
    THIS^^^is all correct.

I find the locked brummel is easier and faster than proper lock stitching but if you want to give it a try, here are the correct directions...Lock Stitching.

• + New Posts