confussed scout Leader - warbonnet bb vs claytor JH

As the thread says, I am a confussed scout leader looking to buy a hammock for a week long trip. At the moment I am leaning towards a claytor hammock and a warbonnet blackbird but can not decide which one.

Does anyone here have experience with both? If so what are your thoughts.

From my initial impressions I like the all-in-one aspect of the claytor and how it all fits into one bag (and has a tarp included). The warbonnet on the other hand is nice because it has a shelf and comes highly recommended (but has no tarp and you would need two bags for it all).

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have no experience with either hammock. It was up to me I would try the warbonnet as it is a bigger (longer, wider = flatter lay which for most means more comfortable) hammock. I'm cant think of anything that the claytor is better at over the warbonnet. Dont get hung up on the tarp thing. You can get any type of tarp at all different price ranges for your warbonnet. Anyway give it some time and you should get plenty of feed back from people that have those hammocks

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    what's the HF policy on duplicates/ cross posting? (not a rhetorical question, directed at mods)

This thread here is the same topic, and is the most active.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9045

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    what's the HF policy on duplicates/ cross posting? (not a rhetorical question, directed at mods)

This thread here is the same topic, and is the most active.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9045

TH
    It's a bug in VBulliten soft ware. Sometimes, the same thread post twice. Mod/Admin should just "merge" them together (If no one had posted into one, then just delete that one).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureProdigy View Post
    As the thread says, I am a confussed scout leader looking to buy a hammock for a week long trip. At the moment I am leaning towards a claytor hammock and a warbonnet blackbird but can not decide which one.

Does anyone here have experience with both? If so what are your thoughts.

From my initial impressions I like the all-in-one aspect of the claytor and how it all fits into one bag (and has a tarp included). The warbonnet on the other hand is nice because it has a shelf and comes highly recommended (but has no tarp and you would need two bags for it all).
    I've had a JH for a couple of years and an very satisfied with it. Especially for the price you can't beat it. Having said that....if I were buying right now I'd give a serious look at the BB. I wouldn't buy it without trying it because I'm still not sold completely on the footbox and the apparent fact that you can only lay either flat or on one side. I would love to try one and would consider buying one if I liked it. I especially like the shelf idea in the BB but if you are creative there are lots of ways to hang things in any hammock.

BTW...you don't need two bags for a BB hammock...just get one bag that will fit both the hammock and tarp, just like the JH. I'm sure you'd be happy with either hammock.

Miguel

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As a Scout Leader myself I took the recommendations of some other leaders here in my area. I never even knew about this forum. I went with Clark and am very satisfied. Just spent a week at Summer Camp with it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    you'll likely want a seperate storage area for the tarp as opposed to the hammock. when it rains all night you'll want to keep the hammock dry and stored away from the wet tarp when you pack up in the AM

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    Canadian Scouter here - just finished a similar investigation and decided on a Blackbird - but the options and consideration are legion and confusing.

So, at the end of the day - pretty much any of the hammocks talked about here seem to do well. I didn't look at Claytors, but I did investigate Clarks, Hennesseys and the Warbonnet hammocks and found that they all were likely to do the job, so it comes down to features/temperatures/options and, of course, price.

Good luck, I am sure whichever one you pick will beat sleeping on the ground.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I've had a JH for a couple of years and an very satisfied with it. Especially for the price you can't beat it. Having said that....if I were buying right now I'd give a serious look at the BB. I wouldn't buy it without trying it because I'm still not sold completely on the footbox and the apparent fact that you can only lay either flat or on one side. I would love to try one and would consider buying one if I liked it. I especially like the shelf idea in the BB but if you are creative there are lots of ways to hang things in any hammock.

BTW...you don't need two bags for a BB hammock...just get one bag that will fit both the hammock and tarp, just like the JH. I'm sure you'd be happy with either hammock.

Miguel
    I really really like my Claytor No Net, it is in a running tie for overall favs. But that BB is also in that list of several. And though more $, it is made in USA by an HF member and has several nice features that neither the No Net nor JH have. I prefer the BB over the JH I had, mainly due to the shelf and suspension and net related issues. I think it was that my feet(toes) and/or head was always on the net when I went diagonal( I am 6'1"), and I was concerned about Mossys. But that is not a very big deal as there are some simple remedies.

• + New Posts