Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    It did appear to be of a standard variety (if there is such a thing) from the companies that mass produce hammocks. My interest was to see how the insulation was incorporated into the hammock and to clear up the confusion between appearance and ad content. Thankfully, you did that and I for one appreciate it.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

So... I ordered one of these as well, and picked it up tonight from fedex.
    I will be returning it to walmart shortly, as it is not as advertised.

I had originally intended to do a video review of this, but..... I don't like doing negative videos as I don't want to be a negative person.

The whole kit weighs in at 30oz. Without the straps, the hammock with the bag, rope ends, and biners weigh 19 oz, making the straps 11 oz.

The straps are 1 inch tubular nylon, with sewn loops and a rolled/sewn end to keep it from sliding out of the buckles.
    The buckles are very heavy duty.. with an emphasis on heavy. The straps are just short of 90 inches long loop to end. The straps actually seem very durable, and gets your hopes up.

The rest of the package is downhill from there.

The bag is sewn into the side of the hammock, and is quite roomy really. There's plenty of extra space in the bag to hold the straps comfortably without feeling like you've got a compression sack without the straps so if you don't like fighting the bag to stuff the hammock, you might appreciate that. Sewing on the bag is shoddy though. Seams don't really line up, and are not straight.

The hammock itself is a single panel of dark brown nylon. Walmart claims its insulated, but it's a single layer of what feels like regular parachute type nylon. Not ripstop, as there is no integrated scrim. Ends are triple stitched into a channel where a braided nylon rope gathers the ends. The stitching is not straight here. The rope terminates in a single overhand knot, which is then larksheaded to a steel carabiner. Sides are a single stitch on a rolled hem.

The advertised dimensions of the hammock are 5X10 feet. But that is a lie. The actual dimensions are 4'3" by 9'3" as measured by a tape. I was hoping for a roomier hang, but this is not going to give it to me, so I'm going to take it back.

If the dimensions were accurate, I would probably keep it despite the iffy sewing.
    The seams are not going to fail, they're just... not very careful.
    The straps seem quite good, if a bit heavy.
    And the price for a hammock with a suspension better than a couple of pieces of rope seems not bad at $34.

If you had smaller kid, this would be not bad. It has all the parts you need to setup pretty fast and painlessly.
    But I think it's kinda on the small side for an adult.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Howzithangin...not sure what you were expecting, but in the original thread, it was pretty well agreed that the ad copy was full of "cut and paste" mistakes. No one really though this was going to be an insulated hammock.

Your's must have been made on a Monday morning as the stitching on mine is reasonably straight.

The ad copy says the material is 70D nylon which is exactly what it appears to be...taffeta nylon. No where does it state ripstop which serves little purpose in a hammock anyway.

I have found hammocks difficult to measure accurately once gathered and commercially made hammocks frequently list the size of the blank material before hemming. Taken apart, mine measures a full 120" x 56". While the width is about 2" less then I would have expected, I'm surprised the hemmed length is the full 10'.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I thought it would be insulated... because it said so on the walmart ad. But yeah, the BG site said nothing about insulation.

Sewing... is sewing. I honestly don't have a bias against country of origin. I just state what I see, and the one I have is not sewn straight. A square pocket not sewn straight is easy to see. And in the triple stitch, it's very easy to see.

As for ripstop, well.. i guess if you need a scrim to stop a rip, it was your fault to begin with for sitting on something sharp. But I also think it would be a nice to have.

As for size.. I like a foot to be a foot. I understand waste in a hem. But I will disagree that this is what happened here. 4'3" is not 5 foot, and there's no way there was 9 inches eaten by a 1/2" rolled seam on each side, which is easy to measure along the middle. If it was 4'10", I'd be with you, but it's not. Also, the length on mine is 9'3" The only way you could consider it 10 is if you included the ropes.

Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    This is a product that starts out with a big negative for a lot of people. It does not overcome that negative with anything innovative or superior to other offerings. In fact it appears to be merely a clone of other offerings that have other advantages in either weight, price, or suspension. Even the positive reviews describe a hammock that weighs 30 ounces---8 ounces of which is hardware and 11 ounces of straps---straps that stretch.

In addition to the $49 retail price, this hammock would require a bug net, new suspension, and new straps. And then it would still weigh more than, for instance, a BIAS Weight Weenie with a Buginator----and would end up costing more.

Are we really being of service to new hangers by making believe this is a good product just so we can say we're not being negative?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yes howzithangin, "Stanley says" that when fabric is in a highly crumpled relaxed state you get shorter measurements, but thanks for showing us why your measurements are so different than mine. Growing up with an architect for a father and having 25 years in commercial construction, I'm fairly experienced at taking accurate measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    ...Are we really being of service to new hangers by making believe this is a good product just so we can say we're not being negative?
    I don't think anyone has represented this product as anything but what it is...a fairly representative example of a mass produced hammock that is competitive with others of it's type with a $35 selling price.

While no one has discussed positives beyond the facts, you have been doing your best to accentuate the negatives.

Hammock
    keeps me happy
    Tarp
    keeps me dry
    Insulation
    keeps me warm
    Suspension
    keeps me up
    How does this compare to the Yukon Double, or the Eno Doublenest? I use the Yukon, and it is comfy, but I have no other Hammock to compare it to, so what do I know? I don't believe this hammock would be better. I am just curious if I am in a hammock that is way less comfortable than one that I should be in, but I don't want to drop big money there.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    How does this compare to the Yukon Double...
    The Yukon Outfitters Double hammock is longer and wider and probably more comfortable (but comfort is an individual thing).

Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    While no one has discussed positives beyond the facts, you have been doing your best to accentuate the negatives.
    The negatives I've noted are the same negatives I note when looking at an ENO mosquito hammock, and the Byer Of Maine Kakoon, and the Hammock Bliss-----------