HH fly / 3x3m tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underbl.
    Suspension
    Webbing + buckle
    Images

Annoyed by HH - making one "my style"?

Hi there,

I've been a lurker here but learned a LOT, it's given me great info on all kinds of details on hammocking. Thanks!

I own a HH Explorer Deluxe. I like it but also dislike it. To make it more the way I want it, extra materials and modifications are gonna cost me. (And they already HAVE cost me.....)

I am really wondering if I should keep spending money to make my HH exactly like I want it, or sell it now and have one made to my specification.
    I just don't know what will cost me more!

So.............I would like to know if there are hammock-makers here who could provide the following, and at what price.

- Something rougly inspired on the lying characteristics of a HH Explorer Deluxe maybe. I own one and I sleep so well in it.
    Changes wanted:
    - 20-30 cm more length
    - Zipped bugnet for top-entry (Mod 2 from 2questions)
    - No underside entry
    - Double underlayer like a DD-hammock, with zipper. This to have the possibility to shove a sleepin mat in there.
    - No ropes and tree huggers, but ring buckle system with webbing.

I am really stoked to see what the possibilities are!

And before y'ask: I have already thought about making it myself. I can work with my hands OK, but a sewing machine ....................not gonna work.

Thanks for your attention,

Thijs
    Last edited by Thijzzz; 06-17-2009 at 09:10.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't know about the extra length, but from the rumors I've heard, Hennessy is coming out with new models that will cover your zippered bugnet, no underside entry, and the double layer (don't know about a zipper though, and I don't know what kind of suspension it would come with). You might look into it before you decide. Just a thought. (Actually, Cannibal has a review of one already.)
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...318#post122318

...and welcome to the forums (to posting, anyway )

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    there is the thrill of making your own gear. the other nice thing about DIY is that the cost is spread. When you buy it's in one hit.

Have you looked at the BB? they have me drooling

(though I like my ~20$ DIY one *hammock, not DIY BB*)

TH
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 06-17-2009 at 07:00. Reason: clarification
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I would frankly forgo the length change and send the explorer to 2Q/ZQ for the #2 mod and bottom entry stitch up. Then, since I do not like pads at all in a hammock I would forgo the double bottom in favor of underquilts or the HH Super Shelter system. In any event I, personally, would not want a zipper on the pad pocket in a Hennessy. I would exoect it to change the lie charateristics.

Using a thread injector is no great challenge. if you are building it from scratch the single most difficult thing to do would be attaching the bugnet but even that is well within the skills of a semi-experienced gear maker. If you want to remove the fear factor watch the "We Don't Sew.." vids in the DIY video gallery. I've had good response to those. They have assisted others in overcoming their phobias.

My guess is for the product you want, DIY would be the most expedient way of accomplishing it. You are talking about a custom job which is not produced commercially. That's where the benefits of DIY begin to reallu make a difference.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post

My guess is for the product you want, DIY would be the most expedient way of accomplishing it. You are talking about a custom job which is not produced commercially. That's where the benefits of DIY begin to reallu make a difference.
    Well, yeah, there is that...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Sounds like the grocery list of items that leads people to buy a Blackbird - seriously. Longer, double layer, top entry, zipper, webbing/rings. You can ask him to customize the hammock for you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I would probably also say just get a Blackbird.

However, if you are just plain and simple a 'Hennessy Fan', then have you looked at the Safari model? Plenty big and you could send it in for Mod #2 and get your zipper. It would not be difficult to rig a second layer for a pad, even easier if it doesn't have to be structural. The suspension is wicked easy to switch-out. Just cut the stock line so you leave a few inches exiting the hammock. Tie a bowline in the end of the remaining stock line, then just attach rings; done.

Again, just get a BlackBird. You'll be snoozin quicker.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Again, just get a BlackBird. You'll be snoozin quicker.
    I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to open that can of worms.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thijzzz View Post
    .......I would like to know if there are hammock-makers here who could provide the following, and at what price.

- Copy of HH Explorer Deluxe, but with:
    - 20-30 cm more length
    - Zipped bugnet for top-entry (Mod 2 from 2questions)
    - No underside entry
    - Double underlayer like a DD-hammock, with zipper. This to have the possibility to shove a sleepin mat in there.
    - No ropes and tree huggers, but ring buckle system with webbing........
    This hammock is already made. It's called a Warbonnet Blackbird. Enjoy!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm not in a position to be able to assist you atm as our house is on the market and my thread injecting system is put away for the time being... but some additional thoughts...

By requesting a "copy of the Explorer Delux" you have entered a gray area as far as I am concerned. Mr. Hennessy has not taken kindly to people replicating his hammocks for sale. While tutorials do exist on the forums and have been allowed to stay accessible those are intended for the private use of the individual DIYer. Nothing is discussed in the tutorials that would not be available from close study of the patent filings as I understand it. But asking for a "copy of the Explorer Delux" even with the midifications you stipulate may be enough for Mr. Hennessy to contemplate action.

I'm not saying your request violates any legal areas, nor that Mr. Hennessy is not within his rights to protect his patents. I'm only suggesting that if I was going to make an item for sale, that is one of the questions I would look at before I did. I suppose if all your conversation is through PM and out of the public view you could avoid any potential unplesantries.

As I was thinking about the project, just for my own amusement, I figured I would need to price the item at between $200 - $250 plus shipping and that is not an estimate I would offer as firm as I did no solid materials pricing. But it seems to me for that kind of money I would certainly entertain the option of the Blackbird which, reportedly, has the comfort of the HH plus the options you have listed. If I understand correctly, the retail price of the BB is less than I would estimate if I were going to offer to do this.

Just some thoughts...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast