DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers

Question regarding attaching an ARL to Whoopie Slings/ENO ProNest

So I am using an ENO ProNest and it is usually a very nice lay for me. I am 5' 7" and my ENO ProNest is 8 feet in length. I recently bought an ARL to use with my suspension system. When attaching this ARL to the ProNest where the hammock attaches to the suspension system, the hammock then becomes too short for a comfortable lay. I was wondering if there would be a way in which to attach the ARL and make the hang of the hammock longer. In other words, can I attach the ARL to the suspension system (like Whoopie Slings) which would give me additional length to the hammock. This will keep me from replacing my hammock with a longer hammock. One concern I have is the ARL slipping on the Whoopie Sling.

One other thought I had was to attach the ARL to where the Whoopie Slings attach to the tree straps instead of attaching it directly to the middle of the whoopee sling.

Has anyone else tried this? Or should I just give up and get a different hammock? Thoughts?
    I am a 28 year-old trapped in a 62 year-old body!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    if you are over 4' tall you may want to look into getting a longer hammock. for comfortable lay your ridgeline should be not much more than 80% of hammock length. so that gives you only 6' long (or so) RL. i would make or buy a adjustable SRL and play around with the length until you get a more comfy lay.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    if you are over 4' tall you may want to look into getting a longer hammock. for comfortable lay your ridgeline should be not much more than 80% of hammock length. so that gives you only 6' long (or so) RL. i would make or buy a adjustable SRL and play around with the length until you get a more comfy lay.
    I have an Adjustable Ridge Line (ARL) and I know my hammock is too small to use the ARL with it at its current length. What I am trying to figure out is how to make my current hammock longer without adding fabric to it. Instead I want to lengthen the hammock using the suspension system. Another thought I had today was to replace the carabiners in the hammock channels with a 14" section of Amsteel that has two eyes on each end. I could then run one of the eyes through the hammock channel and then run the other eye through the first eye securing the hammock. Then I could put the carabiner through the open eye and attach the whoops and ARL to the carabiner which would make my hammock 10 feet long instead of 8 feet long. Thoughts?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    that wouldn't increase the usable length,so i don't think it would do to much. try adding one of these to increase comfort: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hannel-Hammock

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    that wouldn't increase the usable length,so i don't think it would do to much. try adding one of these to increase comfort: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hannel-Hammock
    I don't understand what you mean by "that wouldn't increase the usable length" comment. With the method I described above I just made an 8 foot hammock 10 feet long. The Adjustable ridgeline would then span the 10 foot distance instead of the 8 foot distance. Would that not increase comfort as the hang in the middle is now longer? Maybe I am just not explaining this right. I will try to draw a picture and see if there is some way for me to upload it to this site. I have not had much luck getting pictures to upload from my computer so I am not sure if I can get a drawing to upload from my computer. Maybe someone can point me to some instructions on how to accomplish this.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    the fabric is still only 8' long. adding loops to the end does the same thing as just lengthening the rl.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    At the end of the day, you're only going to have 8 feet of fabric, regardless of what you do to the suspension. From the little experiments I've tried with my own hammock (ENO double nest), ridgelines are pretty much pointless with ENO products as they aren't long enough to get any real benefit from it. You can get a little bit of extra sag, but not enough to make any noticeable difference IMO.

• + New Posts