DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by byviolet View Post
    It's not that -- I just don't want the hammock to fall apart on me. I would really prefer just to buy a well known brand instead
    A tablecloth hammock is just gathering the ends and putting a rope on it. That's all mine is. I got the 156"x90" and it doesn't need to be that big. I may switch to 120"x60". You could hang it diagonally if the longest wall isn't enough. Just take the hammock down from one side and out of the way. Make the pole high enough to walk under.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by byviolet View Post
    Thanks for the response! For a hammock I can accomodate a 11' hammock as the hammock can be larger than a bed since I can stow it away during the day.
    Is your room at least 9.5' long? If not, you will have difficulties hanging an 11' hammock. Yes, you can stow it away during the day, but in order to hang it, you need space!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I saw a video last night, kid on that one was in a pocket on the side hammock (one of those clones) and he hung his at 45 degrees. He just turned more sideways for a comfortable hang. I would suppose that if you're room isn't long enough you could hang at a steeper angle and still get a decent sleep but look for a wider hammock if you're a 6 footer.
    Tablecloth blank 90x132 in the states is only around 15 bucks most of the time. It won't come apart on ya, these things are butt simple. I also don't have any kind of bottom insulation. Whatever your room temperature is you back temp is I've never needed anything more then an extra shirt and some sweats.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I actually just hung my eno in a walk-in closet. I just went diagonally from each corner using eyebolts in the studs. Great place to get away and nap. this works great for me , but I am not hanging fulltime with that limited amount of space.
    Dank Lemons

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Nice info. Nice links MrClean417

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Give the old college try!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    I'm seconding (or thirding or fourthing) the recommendation for a tableclothfactory.com hammock - I teach the hammocking class at our local University of Scouting event every year, and if 13 year old boys can make hammocks to sleep in, as a university student you should certainly be able to as well. Take the 3 minutes to watch the video http://theultimatehang.com/?s=3+minute+hammock and you'll be convinced!

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    It would be nice if you could hang on the diagonal as it would be much more space. Hit a stud in each corner with an eye bolt and good to go (patch those holes when you leave). I hang most nights in my basement which is a bit cool. Insulation is necessary even at 65 degrees. So any of the hammocks mentioned above and a jarbidge underquilt $100 (google kick *** quilts). That is my full time rig and it works great for me. A small pillow is also nice. I just cut up a memory foam pillow into a 6 x 9 piece. A full size pillow tends to fold around my head. A light blanket on the top rounds out the setup. You will still come in under $200. I ahve a bad back and the reason that I sleep in the hammock is to make it feel better. Once you mess with the way you lay bit it will be better than a mattress.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Might I suggest the Hammock Pipe Stand. You can search the forums for that. I believe you can also get one commercially and not DIY. PapaSmurf had some at a recent hammock hang. You can probably get pne with a custom length top bar to fit your room.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarus8429 View Post
    Insulation is necessary even at 65 degrees.
    That's one of the reasons I switched to sleeping in hammocks, in a bed I sweat way too much. Stained mattresses and pillows. During the summer I have a fan blow the air conditioner vent directly across my back. 65 degrees is excellent for my rear end. I understand folks needing it a bit warmer though. When it's under 50 outside I put the sleeping pad on. Now I've got a PLUQ thanks to cncswiss1. Gonna see how cool I can go with just that. Not that I don't sleep just fine with the cheap old walmart pad but it is a bit of stiffness in an otherwise buttery world.

Alright... thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll look into a the tablecloth method, but will that be okay for fulltime hanging? I just can't imagine that it would be very good to sleep on

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast