Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My university room is TINY -- What about fulltime hanging?

Hi guys,

I'm completely new to this (never even been in a hammock before) but I need your help! My university room is going to be tiny (the price of cheap rent) and I literally don't have enough space for both a single bed and a desk. I am thinking of using a hammock instead as the ceiling is really low as well so loft beds are out of the question. If anybody has experience with fulltime hanging can they chiime in to give me some help as to what hammock I should get? I am willing to spend around $200 for a hammock and hammock stand but lower would be preferable. I would also like large hammocks so I can lay diagonally since I heard it was better for your back.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Turtledog stand and a tableclothfactory.com tablecloth don't cost 75 bucks unless you do it real fancy. The threads are located in my signature.

Thanks for the suggestions -- but honestly I don't want to make my own, I would much rather buy it! I'll keep your suggestions in mind though if something changes

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    If you don't want to make it because you don't think you can, watch the video http://theultimatehang.com/?s=3+minute+hammock it is super easy. The turtle dog is super easy as well. Well I haven't made one yet aluminum antenna masts on order. But the forum https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...luminum+turtle makes it look super easy.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Heads up though, you need about 12ft length in one direction to put up a stand with a 10ft pole. My living room in my 1 bedroom is 12ft long and thats as big as I could fit. I wish I could have used a 12ft pole for the top bar as it would be a better lay. Try looking into eyelets and bring a stud finder to the room. That way you wont have a bulky stand to work into the mix. I'm not sure who make 12ft gathered end hammocks but making one is pretty easy. Otherwise keep an eye on the for sale section and you will probably find something. Or ask and someone would make you one, heck I'd make you one. You could easily get by for $100. But keep in mind under insulation, you will want something, and a pad probably wont be ideal. Poncho liner maybe, UQ would probably be most comfy and would put you closer to $200.

It's not that -- I just don't want the hammock to fall apart on me. I would really prefer just to buy a well known brand instead

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Do you know how small, i.e. what size your room will be? If there is only space for a single bed, it could be a bit too small for hanging a hammock. Especially if you have to use a stand. Check the Hammock Hang Calculator to see how much space you are going to need. If you are going with an 11' hammock, you will need ~9.5 foot between the hang points. And I would say 5' width would not be too wide, if you don't want to bump into the walls. With a small room, I would definitely look into putting some eye pads on the walls instead of a stand - if the landlord allows this. If this isn't possible, I would consider setting up some 4x4s; one upright in each corner of the room, then connect them with another 4 beams horizontally. This should take up a lot less space then a hammock stand, which you would have to put somewhere during the day as well...

You should also look into Brazilian hammocks, although a Brazilian might be too big for a small room. On the other hand, they require only a ~45° hang angle, so might be better suited for a small place. A natural fabric is a lot nicer for every night use.

If you want to stick with a synthetic camping hammock (which requires a 30° hang angle), have a look at these:

• Butt in a Sling; I would go for something like the Camper XL. If you stick with a single layer hammock and do your own suspension, you would only have to spend around $ 50, although I would recommend having the Knotty Mod added.
    • Wilderness Logics; those hammocks are a bit more expensive, but they come ready to hang (you only need to get biners).
    • Hammeck; the pricing of those hammocks is pretty competitive and you have some choices.
    • Dream Hammock; offers probably the greatest choice of fabrics, lengths, widths etc. and comes with ridgeline organizer and suspension.
    • Warbonnet; the stock Traveler hammock is 10', but I heard that Brandon will do a custom 11' Traveler as well. The stock webbing suspension is super simple and my preferred suspension.

Of course there are also the usual mass-produced hammocks like ENO & Co. But as far as I know, they are on the short side.

If you really want to save money, go for a Tablecloth hammock. If you want channel ends and can't do it yourself, maybe ask around here if somebody would be willing to do it for you for a trade (maybe buy 2 Tablecloth hammocks and "pay" with the second...) or a small fee.

You will also need insulation to keep you warm from below. Since you plan on sleeping in the hammock every night, I wouldn't bother with a pad, but go with a full-length underquilt. The cheapest option is probably a Kick *** Quilt. The New River should be fine. However, hammock and underquilt will probably set you back a bit more than $ 200.

Thanks for the response! For a hammock I can accomodate a 11' hammock as the hammock can be larger than a bed since I can stow it away during the day.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Do you know how small, i.e. what size your room will be? If there is only space for a single bed, it could be a bit too small for hanging a hammock. Especially if you have to use a stand. Check the Hammock Hang Calculator to see how much space you are going to need. If you are going with an 11' hammock, you will need ~9.5 foot between the hang points. And I would say 5' width would not be too wide, if you don't want to bump into the walls. With a small room, I would definitely look into putting some eye pads on the walls instead of a stand - if the landlord allows this. If this isn't possible, I would consider setting up some 4x4s; one upright in each corner of the room, then connect them with another 4 beams horizontally. This should take up a lot less space then a hammock stand, which you would have to put somewhere during the day as well...

You should also look into Brazilian hammocks, although a Brazilian might be too big for a small room. On the other hand, they require only a ~45° hang angle, so might be better suited for a small place. A natural fabric is a lot nicer for every night use.

If you want to stick with a synthetic camping hammock (which requires a 30° hang angle), have a look at these:

• Butt in a Sling; I would go for something like the Camper XL. If you stick with a single layer hammock and do your own suspension, you would only have to spend around $ 50, although I would recommend having the Knotty Mod added.
    • Wilderness Logics; those hammocks are a bit more expensive, but they come ready to hang (you only need to get biners).
    • Hammeck; the pricing of those hammocks is pretty competitive and you have some choices.
    • Dream Hammock; offers probably the greatest choice of fabrics, lengths, widths etc. and comes with ridgeline organizer and suspension.
    • Warbonnet; the stock Traveler hammock is 10', but I heard that Brandon will do a custom 11' Traveler as well. The stock webbing suspension is super simple and my preferred suspension.

Of course there are also the usual mass-produced hammocks like ENO & Co. But as far as I know, they are on the short side.

If you really want to save money, go for a Tablecloth hammock. If you want channel ends and can't do it yourself, maybe ask around here if somebody would be willing to do it for you for a trade (maybe buy 2 Tablecloth hammocks and "pay" with the second...) or a small fee.

You will also need insulation to keep you warm from below. Since you plan on sleeping in the hammock every night, I wouldn't bother with a pad, but go with a full-length underquilt. The cheapest option is probably a Kick *** Quilt. The New River should be fine. However, hammock and underquilt will probably set you back a bit more than $ 200.
    The only problem with each of the cottage vendors listed (including us) is that shipping internationally is obscene. Our Breezy starts at $40, but to ship it to Canada is another $25...
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm seconding (or thirding or fourthing) the recommendation for a tableclothfactory.com hammock - I teach the hammocking class at our local University of Scouting event every year, and if 13 year old boys can make hammocks to sleep in, as a university student you should certainly be able to as well. Take the 3 minutes to watch the video http://theultimatehang.com/?s=3+minute+hammock and you'll be convinced!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast