Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
TeeDee,

Why wouldn't the scarab work instead of the single pass lock (single Marlin splice)?

- MacEntyre
Don't understand the question, but I'll answer what I think the question is.

I think the single pass lock is more secure, just my suspicion based on no evidence whatsoever.

Having said that, I think the difference in security is small and reflects OrionFyre's question about the scarab pulling off the end. See below.

As far as convenience, I prefer the scarab nacrabiner as easier for me to use. The trouble I have with the regular nacrabiner (which I assume is what you meant by "single pass lock") is using the "lock". I find the lock hard to open and once open it tends to pull closed unless I use 2 hands to hold it open. My main use is to connect my version of the SLS to my rope huggers. In that use I need to hold the single pass lock nacrabiner with one hand and open it with the other hand. If I then grab the loop of the Whoopie Sling on my SLS to insert the nacrabiner through the loop, pulling on the nacrabiner to insert it, the nacrabiner tends to pull closed. I am then caught in a recurring comedy of opening the nacrabiner with 2 hands, then using one hand to bring the Whoopie Sling loop up while holding the nacrabiner with one hand and pulling the nacrabiner closed in the process. I have to be really quick in bringing the Whoopie Loop up, to get the nacrabiner inserted through the loop before the nacrabiner closes. The scarab variant of the nacrabiner really shines here, since the scarab doesn't move and it is very easy to then insert the scarab nacrabiner through the loop, hook over the lanyard knot and move the scarab to lock.

I keep a few of both variant on hand since I "think" there may be situations where I like my perceived security of the single pass lock nacrabiner.

Of course, my perception will probably change as I gain more experience with the scarab locking variant.

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
Of course! I didn't think of that.

I never would do something like that...

Still, the bend at the end would tend to resist a little more than the bight.
The scarab can pull off the end, but it would not be easy depending on how tight the Solomon Bar was tied. If tied so tight that the scarab is hard to move, then the "little" extra width at the end is going to prevent the scarab from coming off except under very heavy duress. If the scarab is tied loosely, then it can be pulled off easily, but then the scarab is probably going to be sliding when you don't want it to slide. At those "in-between" states, where the scarab is hard to move, pulling off the end is not going to happen without your definitely knowing it has happened.

One note: I have found the scarab to very useful for 2 other purposes:

1. marking a position on a rope. I put a scarab on the loop of my Whoopie Slings on my suspension. I adjust and attach one end of my suspension to one tree, attach to the second tree with the Whoppie sling loop pulled way bigger than needed. Then I grab the movable side of the loop and pull the suspension real tight and slide the scarab on the loop up against the tree hugger to "mark" this position. Then I can pull the tail of the loop to make the loop smaller until the scarab is approximately 3" from the hugger. This sets my suspension sag angle. No further adjustment needed. The scarab here serves another purpose: it keeps me from pulling the Whoopie Sling loop closed and forming a termination splice.
  2. "locking" a spliced fixed eye. Sometimes I need to "lock" another rope in a fixed eye. For this I use a lanyard knot or a cord lock or some kind of "bump" in the rope. Then slide a scarab down the eye to change the size of the eye and "lock" the eye.