Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Pardon me for not replying sooner; I was hoping one of the rope experts would have chimed in.

IMHO, the answer is 'yes and no'. On the yes side, just thinking about the physics of what happens when you bend a rope, I believe putting any rope through a tight bend will derate the rope. In fact, I suspect that's why knots weaken a rope. On the 'no' side, the 7/64 and larger HMPE lines we're using are so strong that even with the derating we aren't pushing the limit in most hammock suspension applications.

If I've got this wrong, I'm ready to be reeducated correctly.
    I'm no expert, but I think there's more to this...pressure, friction, heat, to name three.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I'm no expert, but I think there's more to this...pressure, friction, heat, to name three.
    From stretching, squeezing and rubbing? IMHO these would be secondary effects, the way we're using these ropes. I don't think we think generate enough dynamic loading to make them significant compared to the tension, but that's just speculation. 'nuff said from this dummy.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    From stretching, squeezing and rubbing? IMHO these would be secondary effects, the way we're using these ropes. I don't think we think generate enough dynamic loading to make them significant compared to the tension, but that's just speculation. 'nuff said from this dummy.
    Some have reported melting/glazing to Amsteel (or maybe that was straps? I disremember)...in any case, it left the impression with me that localized heating occurs where load (pressure) and movement (friction) come together in synthetics.

Dummy? Puh-leeeze.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you pull a synthetic line across another synthetic line (or the webbing loop), the heat can actually burn thru the thinner one...I've cut rope this way before. This is a problem when pulling your hammock tight thru a tree hugger, especially if you have gear in it to weight it down. If it's not loaded and moving it isn't a big deal in my experience.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Some have reported melting/glazing to Amsteel (or maybe that was straps? I disremember)...in any case, it left the impression with me that localized heating occurs where load (pressure) and movement (friction) come together in synthetics.

Dummy? Puh-leeeze.
    Well, maybe not a dummy but I have more than my share of ignorance. I'll bow to the voice of experience on this stuff.

Speaking of which, I had only one experience with friction heating of AmSteel (my only point of reference) and that was in my early experiments -- when I made a constrictor segment too short on a UCR, it slipped under load and both the constrictor and the internal line got pretty hot. I didn't see any damage to the line, but it did catch my attention.

Edit: just remembered that I did see some friction melting of the polyester Walmart webbing I used with my first Risk type hammock a few years back.
    Last edited by Frawg; 03-28-2010 at 11:45. Reason: what the heck's a 'contrictor'??
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I think that some movement is unavoidable when the hammock is in use (loaded), even in knots.

I don't think any of this dangerously compromises our suspensions, just making the point that I think radius of bend isn't the sole factor in the derating of cordage
    Dave

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I think that some movement is unavoidable when the hammock is in use (loaded), even in knots.

I don't think any of this dangerously compromises our suspensions, just making the point that I think radius of bend isn't the sole factor in the derating of cordage
    Point taken.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    There are two thoughts that are both wrong;
    1) If it is old it must be good.
    2) If it is new it must be better.

Dutch, your design is timeless. Its simplicity is its perfection. Nacrabiners have their place in the world (and in my gear-bag). But Dutchclips will always have a place on my tree-huggers.

Hammers and nails are thousands of years old. They did not stop being used because screws & screwdrivers were invented. Use the right tool for the job.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

evolution

new nacrabiner ideas. made a handle for the whipped cinch wind lock section.i used a nail knot(i think)with 4 loops.after this was tied i connected the leftover ends together as you would a continuous loop.you could also tie the ends together with an overhand knot.this handle is going to make it very easy to open and close this nacrabiner with cold fingers, in dark conditions,arthritus,ect.i call it the whipzip

DSCN21620001.JPG DSCN21640001.JPG

when i set up my hammock i have been hanging my suspension first and then attaching my hammock to it using a toggle.i am going to try replaceing my chain link/toggle system with a similar sized nacrabiner.

DSCN21510001.JPG

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looks good LT.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.