WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing

Question: rigging mynew WB Superfly

My new WBBB XLC and Superfly arrived today (ordered on the 11th: not even two weeks!), and I'm anxious to get out of the office and home to play with them! My questions are about rigging the tarp:

I'm thinking about making loops of 1/8" or 1/4" shock cord to attach to each corner, then tying guy lines to the shock cord- half the stretch to account for stretching of the silnylon, and half for when I trip over ht elines or it's wicked windy. Three questions:
    1. Does this make sense?
    2. 1/8" or 1/4" shock cord?
    3. Loop the shock cord through the tie-outs on the tarp, or use mitten hooks so they'll break off before the tarp tears?

... and for extra credit:
    3 1/2. What about the tie-outs on the doors?

Thanks!
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I got a superfly earlier this year. LOVE it. Here's what I did to hang mine:

Get snake skins for your tarp that way you can hang the ridge line without the tarp flapping in the breeze

Ridge line: Using el cheapo wally world camo polester cord with two nite ize figure 9 with integrated carabiner, and two mini biners. If you got the cinch buckle on your blackbird, you know the webbing has loops for use with a carabiner. just loop the webbing around a tree and snap it into the carabiner, easy and fast. I do the same thing on a smaller scale with my super fly with the camo cord with a loop in one end. I use the $2 wally world cord because the nite ize figure 9 has "teeth" so I expect that cord will be replaced yearly perhaps...but for $2 who cares? the carabiner in the figure 9 makes it real easy to attach to the metal ring on the ridgeline. Using this setup you can suspend and tighten your ridgeline in about 2 minutes

For the tie outs, I took (4) 6" bungee cords, cut the hooks off so it's just the cord, doubled it over, then used some mason's line to make tensioners. I first made a loop in the mason's line. then went out about 6" and then tied a square knot onto the center point of the bungee. stretched the bungee almost as far as it'd go with the mason line laid out along side, marked where the bungee was fully extended, then tied the line onto the ends of the bungee cord. Line continues for as long as you want your tie outs to be. this is all done with a single piece of line for each tie out. I use the loop I made on the stake, then use a trucker's hitch to tie onto the tarp. This way the tie outs are easily untied if I want to fold up my tarp and take a nice summer nap in the sun, and I can quickly re-tie before bed

You'll want to take along some cord to hold the doors back when not using them, and also to close the doors when needed. The superfly is awsome, but does use a lot of line to rig...it's so worth it though

Images
    I prefer Brandon's tarp tying method over shockcord.

• + New Posts