No more pad slipping

This January I went hanging in Europe as i couldn't afford hotels. The weather was barely freezing with mucho exits from the warm and cuddly to go out and pee. But the in and out got easy with the following: I cut two 6 foot sleep pads in half at the waist, making four pads of 3' by the original width. Then, space the four pads in the hammock overlapping a few inches at the lowest point (hammock belly). The long (3') side of each pad runs at a right angle to the hammock's length, giving you wide coverage to lay off-center in the hammock.

Critical step--now remove cotton/poly field jacket (a down coat is too light) and spread it over the arranged pads. Not only does it anchor the pads in place, but also absorbs sweat if any. Now i could climb out, in, and out again without resetting the pads and no shifting occurred. The setup looks like the jointed segments of a cockroaches belly. (the simile is only approximate--more like one that's been squashed)

It seems kinda obvious but i haven't seen it described and had to discover it by T&E. If so, don't all thank me at once and spare the torrent of rotten veggies.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Thanks for sharing this. I always enjoy finding a good reason to setup a hammock to try something new. I'll give this a shot with my Byer, sometime this Summer.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

What about

What about getting the little squeeze tube of silicone (caulk size would be way too much wasted) and doing squigglies on the pad; let it cure of course, then when in the hammock the cured silicone helps prevent slippage.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I've done what medicineman suggests on several Ridgerests. It works quite well, although eventually the silicone will fall off.

The coat idea is cool as long as it doesn't have any metal hardware (zipper pulls, big buttons, etc) that could damage the hammock fabric. Many times I've slipped a pad inside a silk liner and slept pretty comfortably on top of it; same idea.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

pad slippage

No, Vitalmaltz, not a problem....the coat is sandwiched between you and the pads wh. are against the hammock. Or, putting it another way, the pads are sandwiched between the hammock below and the coat on top ( zippers touching pads) Kapeesh?

I like the idea of silicone beads, but they'd be redundant as i'd still need the coat for absorbency.

slipping

will plastidip in the spry can stick to the material? I have used it on the thermrest pads with good results.

• + New Posts