Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt

This disease needs a name.

After going through the "Off Brand" thread and ordering a couple of the off brand hammocks, Dutch posted that paypal made it too easy and he thinks he has a problem. Dutch I am with you. I think I have a problem. I have a couple on the way already, with one of those reserved for myself. But here I am wondering if maybe just maybe I should pick up another one, just to have a spare laying around. Nevermind the two Eno hammocks, the old military style jungle hammock, the 6 yards of ripstop I am trying to turn into a double layer hammock,3 yards of ripstop for a single layer, and the three Kallisto travel hammocks. And I don't even have the expensive hammocks that I drool about.

So what is it? I have a kayak. A kayak. One kayak. It's a Hobie Outback and I have it set up to the hilt. Fishfinder, sail, outrigger, anchor, sea anchor, faster pedals, etc.. I don't sit around wondering if I should have another, or even a backup laying around. I ride motorcycles, and while the new ones are nice, I am happy with my 8 year old motorcycle. I am really happy with it. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

But, by the end of today, it looks like I could potentially have about 5 more hammocks laying around than people living in the house. And I still want/obsess about at least 4 of the commercially available setups on the market right now. It's not like I can sleep in more than one at a time anyway. In fact, so far only my daughter has even tried one. Last camping trip hers was on the tree while she slept in the truck. I am picking up hammocks for the kids like they are as interested as I am, and that might not be the case. Same with my wife. She hasn't been out camping yet this year due to her schedule, and is not even sure she will like hammock sleeping (although I doubt it). What am I going to do with all of these hammocks. What do you guys do with all of these hammocks? It's like storing up nuts for the winter.

I guess if I lose my job, I wouldn't be truly homeless (as long as there's a few trees around), and can stop joking about living out of a cardboard box, since I would be swinging it. How about the modern world collapsing onto itself. I am prepared to tuff it out in the wilderness. Well, just a few more hammocks and I am ready.

What about: Pre-Apocalyptic Noacheewhenwakee Syndrome.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    So what is it? I have a kayak. A kayak. One kayak. It's a Hobie Outback and I have it set up to the hilt. Fishfinder, sail, outrigger, anchor, sea anchor, faster pedals, etc.. I don't sit around wondering if I should have another, or even a backup laying around. I ride motorcycles, and while the new ones are nice, I am happy with my 8 year old motorcycle. I am really happy with it. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
    Sounds like you have several thousand dollars wrapped up in your kayak and I'm betting the ride cost you at least a grand. Add up all your hammock gear and I bet it isn't even close. It's the nickel and dime theory at work. People will spend loose change readily, but consider a purchase that involves paper money. Relatively speaking, hammocks are loose change compared to your other toys.

But you see, the problem is worse than you believe it to be right now. In addition to hammocks, you must have other 'toys'; quilts, pads, tarps, a billion different types of cord/line, gadgets like Fig 9s, and there are even an array of glow-in-the-dark dodads to be acquired. I flat out refuse to even consider doing a value based inventory on my hanging gear. I'm pretty sure it would ruin my sleep for the next couple of years.

I don't think I can pronounce it, but I like it!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Byer Moskito or Parrot Bay
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Home made
    Images
    How about:

Hammock Acquisition Malady with Obsessive Credit Card Charging HAMOCCC for short.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    hangaholism
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Dutch posted that paypal made it too easy and he thinks he has a problem. Dutch I am with you. I think I have a problem.
    Why does it have to be cast in a negative context?

H
    ammock Dependency Disorder has very few side effects, and even those are manageable. Plus, you get the benefit of really good sleep!

No, I think it's an entirely good thing. And I'm not in denial about anything.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Pre-Apocalyptic (end of the world reference) Noacheewhenwakee (no ache-e when wake-e) Syndrome (a complex system of presenting symptoms which do not conform to established diagnostic norms and so are unable to be traced to a single effective cause.)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Byer Moskito or Parrot Bay
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Home made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    hangaholism

terrasomnifobia (fear of sleeping on the ground)

Yep I just started hanging to and already have 4 hammocks but I am also a fanatic about my yaks. I have 11. One of every fishing yak we make as well as more than one of some of them. But I am on the Pro Staff so that helps with costs. Are there any hammocks Pro Staffs? Maybe I need to get on one of those too?

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Quote Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
    terrasomnifobia (fear of sleeping on the ground)
    I'll buy this one but I really like Pre-Apocalyptic NoAcheeWhenWakee Syndrome to...

How to describe a man thats preparing for a apocalypse? Put that together with Terrasomnifobia
    www.fogelberg.info

If the hammock is rocking, don't come knocking

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Fig, you don't want a Hobie Adventure Island, even a little bit?
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast