Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

CO>Hello, Mr. Deputy

After a foot of snow on Thursday, I embarked on my first winter hang.

I was on XC Skis with my pack and was headed towards my summer hang spot. Weather was beautiful - wind at my back and sunny. The snow, however, was not. I felt like an ice breaker, moving through knee deep wet cement formed into chunks. I nearly lost my pole - it went into deep snow and would not come out. Apparently the heavy, wet snow had essentially flash freeze around it. So, I had to get on my knees and dig about 2 - 3 feet down with my hands to free it.

Needless to say, 3 hours later and I was still probably an hour from my campsite (in the summer, it takes maybe 1.5hrs to get there). And then I had to go up a hill. I bit it pretty hard going down a dip on the top, scraped up my leg. So I decided I was exhausted and would go back down the hill, make my camp on the side of a ridge overlooking the creek and meadow I had just crossed. I took my skis off to walk down the hill - far too steep to take on my XC skis - and mostly hit solid snow, but my leg went down to the waist at one point. And flash-freeze like my pole. I could not pull out. So had to sit down and dig 2 - 3 feet down into the wet, ice-ridden snow until I could free myself. Did I mention how tiring it is to dig that much snow by hand with a pack on your back?

I got camp set up and discovered that scraping my shovel across the top of the snow would separate the moist layer from the frozen layer, into little blocks. The wind was blowing up valley so I made a snow wall on that side of my Tarp and the open area, as I could not set up perfectly against the wind.

Exhausted and soaked, I was on my way to freezing. The effort put into moving through that snow had made me soaked to the skin. I did not have any dry layers to change into - only more, warmer outer layers to put on. I put them on, boiled some water, ate some dinner, got in my hammock, and proceeded to freeze as the sun went over the horizon. Then the wind changed, flash freezing the wet snow as it rolled off the Mtn from the North. Not good, I thought, and I knew I was in trouble. No cold spots in the hammock, but I was getting colder and colder.

I needed to bail out, but I was exhausted.

Had one bar of reception and got on the horn with Mtn. Rescue (around 7PM my time). Phone didn't last in the cold, so I didn't know if they were going to come out looking for me. I broke camp (my tracks were the only ones out here, so if they were looking for me, they'd surely be following them). The temp had dropped (i think it was below 0'f where I was...somewhere above 9,000ft elevation) so much that the snow had virtually frozen over. It may have taken me 3hrs to get to where I camped, but I only think it took me about an hour to get down, though I am not entirely sure.

It was both the most eerie, scarey, and coolest ski of my life. Pitch black, could only see 5 yards ahead of me with my headlamp, my previous tracks coming out of the darkness along with odd shapes covered in snow (rocks, trees, etc). I think I did begin to hallucinate at some point and am pretty sure I was dehydrated despite drinking 1.5 nalgene bottles. But I got to the ancient miners huts. I layed down in the corner, the only spot semi out of the now howling wind and spread my emergency blanket on the ground (wooden floor), got in my sleeping bag, but my TQ on top, and then my UQ on top of that, and wrapped myself (head included) under my tarp. It was warmer but I started to get the shivers pretty bad. Sometime around 11 I tried my phone again - it had warmed up enough to turn back on! I had less then 20% battery remaining and 2 bars of reception, so was able to get on the horn again with Mtn. Rescue/Police. They sent a Deputy up a Mtn Road to a carpark that was maybe 10 minutes away from where I was (also my start point) so I broke 'camp' and skied half the way (fell twice, and had almost no energy to get back up) before taking the skis off and walking out. Amazing what snow can do - the same snow was thigh deep earlier when I had set off, now it was rock solid.

Got in the Deputies truck, riding shotgun, and started to get the feeling back in my fingers and toes. Was more relieved to get my pack off and about 15 minutes later he had driven me home. Walked in around midnight, base layer was still wet, my ski socks were still wet and had soaked through the wool socks I had put on them. Took a nice hot shower, then went to bed with my space heater turned on. Wake up this morning, so nice and warm and didn't want to get out of bed.

I did take pictures and will see about getting them posted at some point.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Wow that's quite the experience glad you made it out ok.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Cell phone to the rescue. I am glad you had some survival skills. Many people who venture out do not have any of the skills they need. Over the years I have seen the results of inexperienced people going into wild places when they were not knowledgeable about survival. Some of them ended up froze, badly burnt, bleed to death or other types of misadventures such as drowning when they accidently ended up in the water.

I live part of the year in a very remote area off the Alaska Highway in Northern B.C. Every once in a while someone wants to do a winter camp on my property, I have had people from this forum want to Hang on my property, which is great in our short Summer, but Winter is deadly. Death comes quickly with cold.

I hope everyone reads your story and pays attention, if it were not for your Cell phone things might have been very different. I am sure in the future you will carry what you need to stay warm if something unexpected happens.

I learned the hard way about getting stuck in the snow, I misjudged how deep the snow was. I got stuck with both legs in snow up almost to my crotch. I could not dig myself out. Some men were passing by and asked if I need help, they dug me out. I could have died right there in a public place of hypothermia. Very dangerous, I was in a familiar area, I had walked through that area many times over a two year period. Fresh snow, I could not judge the depth. Now I carry a pole and feel my way.

Thank you for posting, I am pleased you survived and are telling what happened. You may save someone from having the same thing happen.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the adventure and surviving to tell the tale. Some good lessons to be learned here. Looking forward to the pictures after you warm up a bit.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Glad to hear you made it out with only a scare and a story to tell. You said that you didn't have any dry layers to put on, only more and warmer outerlayers. Would it have helped to take off the wet base layers and just wear the warm outer layers? or were they wet too? I hope to never be in this situation, but I want all the information I can get, just in case.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Usually in winter I always bring a dry set of base layers. I never wear them while hiking or snowshoeing. I sweat way too much. I just assume that I will be wet from perspiration until I get to camp. Usually as I set up camp I will vent and dry a bit. I will change into dry base layers before I get into the hammock. Also carry some chemical heat packs. They work well when you need additional heat. I also bring down booties, down pants, down mitts, down jacket and down hat for all winter trips. You never know when you might need extra warmth.

Glad you survived. You now have what they call experience

S

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My pack was quite heavy - I suppose if I want to Winter Hang again, I should invest in a 0'f TQ so I don't have two bulky items - just one - for my top. My snow pants and Boreal shirt were my only dry clothing and it was too cold to dry anything - I tried drying my gloves while setting up camp, but they just turned rock solid. Too much wind and cold. I could have walked down the road leading to the parking lot and potentially found a house to call help from too if my cellphone did not work.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Nice adventure.. glad you survived.. Why did you go alone? In conditions like that. Cell phones do not like cold. Keep a Hand warmer for phone.
    you kept your wits, and not panicked. Good to have paper travel plans of adventure routes & times with friends. For Just in case.

Good read on the outing.
    " Taking the gun off safety increases the velocity by 100% "

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    mcallaghan:
    First, thanks for having the guts to post details of 'a trip gone bad' - it's not that easy, and we can all learn from stories like yours.

Of course, I'm glad you made it out OK (otherwise no story, right? ), also.

Have you reached any conclusions about your gear choices, etc. since the trip? I'm interested in what you think....
    Down vs synthetic
    Skis vs snowshoes
    Pack weight
    Food/stove choices
    etc....
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Pack weight had to do with the fact that I had my sleeping bag, UQ, and TQ - if I had a 0'F TQ, then I would have ditched the sleeping bag (which in comparison is heavy).

I went alone because I don't know a whole lot of people out here (rather quiet/shy guy) and its hard enough for me to find some one to go camping with during the summer, let alone the winter. My roomates and boss knew where I was going and when I expected to be back. I decided against calling them (vs Mtn. Rescue/911) simply because I didn't think I'd be able to get back to the cabins and they wouldn't be able to come find me. I did panic a bit when I got so cold and couldn't get warm again.

As for the stove - I had a Solo Wood Burning stove but brought the 'Companion' alcohol stove for it. It burned out twice while I was melting snow/cooking dinner - I wasn't sure how much alcohol to poor on it and though I couldn't feel the breeze, there was one as I had the darnest time getting the lighter to light just to get the stove going. I left my windshield at home mistakenly, and the snow i used to make a windshield melted from the heat of the flames since I had to get it close.

My Tarp was also too small (a HH Hex Fly) for winter camping. Need to invest in a Superfly or something with doors, but don't have the funds for something like that at this point. Otherwise, Whoopie slings are vast improvement over descender rings for attachment/adjustments. The HG Incubator 0'F seemed to work, I was just too wet from sweat to keep warm. The Boreal Shirt is really warm, but heavy. I think a....whatchma call it....the sled you drag behind you? would have been better then carrying a pack on my back. Super sore today from it all. Of course, the wet-cement snow would have made the sled tough to pull, and descending on slopes at night could have ended badly (since everything froze over).

I kept my phone on the inside mesh pocket of my XC Cold Weather Jacket, so right next to my base layer. Even with Boreal shirt on top, it wouldn't get warm enough (or stay warm) unless I was under all my layers for 30+ mins. I had checked to see if it would turn on a few times until that one final time (once I was also under my tarp) in the Miners Hut...was so happy it turned on.

I contemplated snowshoes, and they may have worked in the conditions, but probably would have been a lot slower going, especially on the way back as XC skies allow you to glide or slide down hills.

Next time, I'd bring a set of dry base layers to change into - but how would I dry the wet ones? My wet gloves froze solid when I hung them on my ridgeline in the sun.
    I contemplated trying to get a fire going - lots of dead branches that snapped right off on the trees I camped in, but didn't have a flat spot for it, enough wood to burn for a while, or tinder. I wasn't about to go walk down to the brush by the creek as it was a steep slope for my skis, and I would have sunk every step walking.

I think I was pretty dehydrated as I drank more then I normally do on the same trip during the summer. I wasn't hungry at all either - did have ramen noodles for dinner - and felt nauseas at times on my trek to the hut. I think I even hallucinated a bit once or twice, but mentally wasn't in a great state on my way back. I kept thinking that 3 hours was going to be a long time, but it took (i think) only around an hour to get back because of how rock hard ice everything was, and a very general downhill direction (going with the flow of the creek). That and the fact I couldn't see any landmarks probably helped make the distance go by faster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast