ENO DN, DD Modular
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ, PLUQ
    Suspension
    mule tape,whoopies

SC -Need help planning for youth

I'm looking for some suggestions on where to take a youth group (1st-6th grade) for an overnight in upstate SC. I would prefer a trailside location that's not too difficult to access (again 1st-6th grade boys), but can accommodate a fairly large group. By fairly large I'm thinking up to a dozen boys with maybe four adults. Does such a location exist? My internet searches so far have been frustrating. We're in Laurens, SC and could travel to NC if that's the better option, but with the trip just being an overnight I don't want to spend too much windshield time. The adults are hangers, but the boys will be subjected to ground dwelling. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    What about the Burrel's Ford campground along the Chattoga?

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Check out Jones Gap in northern Greenville County. There is a camping area up a trail about either a half mile or mile (been awhile since I was there) from the parking lot. There are plenty of trees, but an open area for tents. We took a group of about 20 and had plenty of room. The trail was fairly steep, but the boys would probably make quick work of it.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    ENO DN, DD Modular
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ, PLUQ
    Suspension
    mule tape,whoopies
    Been to Jones Gap quite a bit and love it there. Didnt realize the sites there would accomodate that many. Thanks Junebug. Tim, I've camped at Burrels a lot, but always on those other sites along Burrels Ford rd., never been in the "official" campground there. How many tents (I said the T word) do you think those sites have room for?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Raven Cliff Falls Trail area is very nice also. The only issues is the bathrooms are not open. It was a pain to try and find a place in the woods in such a popular area, you had to go a long way.
    Last edited by Cali; 03-26-2014 at 08:36.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    The official campground is only a 0.3 mile walk down a gravel road from a parking area. I tried finding a spot that has the actual number of campsites online but didn't have much luck, so from memory, there are ~3 camp sites right by the river that would easily fit two tents each (more depending on the size of the tents). Then back in the campground area I want to say there are 8 more sites, each site has a cleared spot/tent pad, a fire ring, and a spot to hang a bear bag. I think most sites also have a picnic table. The tent pads are big enough to fit my 6 man car camping tent with plenty of room. There is also an unofficial spot adjacent to the campground alongside King Creek (near the bridge) it is a fairly large cleared area that I have seen groups camp in. Then as you walk down the chatooga trail there are some additional back country sites (rock fire rings) but they are probably not 50ft from the water like they are supposed to be.

Burrells Ford Campground has no fee but is first come first serve.
    The campground has one pit toilet and is supposed to have a hand water pump somewhere.
    (I have never managed to find it and I just filter water anyway).
    Here is the trail map, several waterfalls to check out on a day hike.
    You could call the forest rangers and double check the campground capacity. Or maybe someone else will chime in with more info, a co-worker fly fishes in that area all the time I might ask him if he remembers more about the campground.
    Last edited by Tim_807; 03-26-2014 at 10:40.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Burrells Ford is great for such a thing. I'm also a big fan of the primitive sites at Paris Mountain. You'd need two to accomidate your group (or pay for two and use one, since they are big enough). The idea at most of the state parks that you'll find is that the primitive sites are overused and keeping low numbers helps (even at Jones gap which will be simmilar).

If you want to travel a little bit further there is a nice large campsite about 1.5 miles in from the Bad Creek Access along the Foothills Trail.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DD Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    +1 on Burrell's Ford. You could always park at the bridge and hike along the Chattooga River. There are quite a few camping spots up stream near the bridge

Hammock
    ENO DN, DD Modular
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ, PLUQ
    Suspension
    mule tape,whoopies
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Right now I'm leaning toward the Burrels Ford area, it would give us more options for a side trip; kings creek, spoonauger, fish hatchery, stumphouse, etc. Sounds like time for a scouting trip to check out the campsite areas. I know the "unofficial" sites were prone to some rowdy activities in the evenings that I would prefer to avoid. How are the sites in the campground along the river and kings creek? Were looking at mid-June by the way.

Hammock
    DD Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    In my experience at Burrell's, most of the rowdy "unofficial" campsites(which I've been a part of in my younger years lol) are car camping sites on the GA side. I have never had an issue at the sites on the SC side, next to the river. There are campsite anywhere from .25 to 5 miles up the river from the bridge. So you shouldn't have any issues finding a secluded site

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast