getting back to the pack

Hello!

Thank you to everyone who has contributed and made this site full of great info!

I am looking to get back into backpacking after quite a few years of hiatus. When I started a family is when I stopped backpacking and started car camping. A lot has changed! I think my kids are old enough to enjoy backpacking now. By backpacking light, I am hoping to be able to avoid 'daddy carrying 60-80 pounds' of gear.

I have been reading a ton and start to acquire new gear. I want to have a complete set up for myself in the next month or so then acquire gear for my two young ones by next summer to start backpacking as a family (car camping this summer).

Gear so far-
    - Grand Trunk UL (ditched the cord and steel S that it can with)
    - OES standard tarp
    - newly made suspension (whoopie slings, continues loops...)
    - Dutch Ti pieces including Ti nails
    - Dri-ducks
    - Marmot Ion wind shirt
    - wool base layers
    - backcountry.som Hadron down jacket

Still need-
    - replace my ridgerest and down SB with... Wildernesslogic ss full length two piece (direction I am most likely to head)
    - replace my old Whisperlight with a new light weight stove
    - pick a Sawyer squeeze
    - replace my behemoth backpack (I have have many great trips out with my huge Gregory) thinking of a Golite Jam 50 (seems like a great bang for the buck pack)

I really am unsure about the tq and uq. Not sure how warm I sleep or if I should go for the 3-4 season set up. I live in the PNW and would most likely focus my camping from now until late September. Still up in the air about stoves too...

Anyway, I am just looking forward to getting back out there. I hope I am headed in the right direction. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Skewed
    Last edited by skewed; 03-26-2014 at 23:24. Reason: teh!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Hi Skewed- for great input on gear, checkout backpackinglight.com...
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It sounds like you've got things pretty well figured out.
    You'll be happy with any of the quilt makers here on the forums. Pick the lowest temperature that you are willing to camp in and get an underquilt to match that. You could save some weight by going one step less warm on the top quilt and wear your Hadron down jacket with you wool base layers to supplement the top quilt.
    Stoves are all over the map for personal preference. For long weekend type trips, an esbit stove will be your lightest option, followed closely by an alcohol stove, both systems using a Fosters beer can pot. Some prefer a wood burning stove, also a lightweight option. Still others are willing to carry the weight of a canister stove.
    There are lots of stove discussions in the Donating Members section, as well as all other aspects of camping.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thanks guys! I ordered a Jam 50 and a member here contacted me and will be sending a few alcohol can stoves gratis (super nice of him). I have been on backpackinglight quite a bit. Lots of very good info. Tarp came in today! Might have to head out this weekend to test the new gear out. Old down bag and a ridgerest but should work alright.

Time to tie in some shock cord.

Cheers,
    Skewed

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like you are on the way with a great start. I got into backpacking about a year ago after years of car/scout camping. I studied hard to get me and both my sons good lightweight gear that would last years.

The hardest thing was finding a light pack that would fit my 10 year old son. He is short 52" and small 60# maybe. The ULA CDT did the trick. It is a little big still but he can grow into it. Plus it is light so he isn't carrying more than 10# with hammock/quilts/clothes and a little food/snacks. Keep it light and fun. Most kids packs were 2-3 LBS and weren't much less than the CDT.

• + New Posts