Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    Super Shelter 4

Radiant Double Bubble Pad XL

I own a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip with a super shelter. I will like to make this system a little warmer so I decided to purchase a Radiant Double Bubble Pad XL. I'm not sure where do I need to place the pad for better results. So the question is should I put it inside the hammock or under it in top of the pad. So far I saw a video of someone using his inside the Hammock. Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    My preference is under the hammock, inside the super shelter's under cover. I'm new, and have not tested it below 50*thus far.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I'm interested in hearing how this works.. I've thought about replacing the OCF pad in my HHSS with the bubble pad for greater insulation, but have been concerned that the bubble pad would not conform to body contours like the OCF does- and create air gaps.

Let us know how this works for you...

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Works fine for me. I use both.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agueybana View Post
    I own a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip with a super shelter. I will like to make this system a little warmer so I decided to purchase a Radiant Double Bubble Pad XL. I'm not sure where do I need to place the pad for better results. So the question is should I put it inside the hammock or under it in top of the pad. So far I saw a video of someone using his inside the Hammock. Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.
    I use it under the hammock in the SS

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    On top of the OCF pad in the SS.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    Super Shelter 4
    I think I'm going to put it on top of the SS pad. Hopefully this will increase my comfort and keep me warmer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agueybana View Post
    I think I'm going to put it on top of the SS pad. Hopefully this will increase my comfort and keep me warmer.
    Are you already using a ~2 oz space blanket on top of your HHSS OCF pad? If not, then it seems like it should perform some of the benefits of the space blanket: vapor barrier and reflector, but don't know if it will do as well. But it will provide some extra insulation compared to the space B. As long as it does not interfere with the HHSS pad wrapping around your shoulders and over all fit. I've always wanted to, but never have, wanted to try adding this pad to the HHSS. It was designed to go into the pad pocket of a HH DJ, which also has thingies built in to tie it too so it won't move around. Don't know if the tie downs are present in your Explorer, so it might not stay put inside of, rather than under, the hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The bubble pad is actually designed to work with the Deep Jungle, which is a double layer hammock. From Hennessey's website:

This bubble pad is silvered on both sides and reflects 97% of your bodies radiant heat back to you. Under most conditions this pad will keep you warm down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit ( 5 Celsius) if you are using a good quality 40-degree sleeping bag. Any other insulating materials like a fleece, spare clothing, hat, etc. can be placed under the pad for increased insulation. This pad is tapered, wider at the shoulders and narrower at the feet. It has a polyester black binding around the perimeter and a grommet with attached elastic and glove hook for use between the layers of the double bottomed Deep Jungle models. This pad can also be used inside any other hammock model. The construction of the Double Bubble Pad is more efficient than the similiar automobile windshield reflector pads that so many hikers are using. Pad fits neatly inside your pack by making a cylinder around the inside circumferance of your pack and rolling any excess over level with the top of your pack.
    By the way he phrases things here, it appears he's suggesting using it inside the hammock with a sleeping bag.

I use it when car camping with my HHDJ. It is effective enough to be used down here (Texas) during the winter months. But I find that it is too bulky to take backpacking. You might find that it will slip around inside the hammock, and will not conform to the bottom of the hammock when under it, allowing cold air to seep between it and the hammock. What you have will work, but I think ultimately, you're going to end up being happier with an underquilt.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I've used the double bubble INSIDE the hammock, sleeping directly on it. It does move around, and there is a lot of noise and a bit of condensation. I have older model HHs (classic bottom entries), but I've heard that the newer models have hooks inside to attach the double bubble so it doesn't move around. I've taken it down into the 40's and it has worked fine. I got real tired of squirming around to get it in the correct position though, so I modified an old synthetic sleeping bag into an underquilt. I like that much better. Can't wait to order a new underquilt from one of the vendors here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast