Goblin Valley, UT Looking for places to hang!

Hey everyone!

Next month I am headed to Goblin Valley, UT and I have never been there before, but as I understand it, there may not be many trees (and by that, of course I mean none). What are your suggestions for how to hang. As far as my gear all I've got currently are the Kammok python straps, and I don't have a huge budget to add to it currently.

Based off that information what can I do to get a good hang, both in the camp grounds and perhaps during a small hike I hope to go on?

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    It's been awhile since I was in that area, but there are very few trees suitable for hanging. The campground at Goblin Valley State Park is just open space if I remember right. No trees. We always camped outside the park on BLM land. I recall any trees there either, just lots of rock canyons. Some sort of hammock stand might work if you're car camping, but for hikes it will be slim pickens. Perhaps some rock anchors????
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    I was there last fall. I have never camped in the campground either. I think I was told that there were some of the camp grounds with pavilions but as far as trees go I don't think they are there.

There are a few and I mean a few in the BLM area where I have always camped. I don't recall any place where there were two trees that would work for hanging though.

There are a lot of rocks. I have heard of some people using rock climbing equipment to attach to some rocks to hang. You might be able to find a spot where that would work but I don't think I would count on that. It seems like a lot of that rock was pretty soft. It seems like dried mud rocks in a lot of spots and I would be hesitant to try it.

I will be taking a trip to Southern Utah in June and the place I will be going I understand doesn't have a lot of trees to hang from. We will be setting up a base camp where we can park our cars and then go hiking from there. Because of that I have been experimenting with the concept found in the following thread in my back yard. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hammock-Stand This would work for car camping but I don't think it is very practical for a hike.

If you think you might try this concept I would play around with it before you rely on it. I have tried 2 or 3 different variations. It hasn't worked yet but I am close. I am using a 3' and a 4' long by 1/2" steel pipe from the plumbing section at lowes along with a coupler to make one of the uprights. The pipe is strong enough to hold me but it is a bit to heavy to use for hiking. I like it because I can unscrew it and my longest piece is 4' long so it fits well in the trunk of a car. For car camping these materials will work. The issue I am solving is the stakes. The last time I tried it the 12" stakes pulled through the wet ground. Just as a note I know it has been said many times on here don't hang higher than you are willing to fall. The next thing I am going to try is using two stakes for each pull out.

Stands is actually a good idea, the only trick there is I am not going to be the one driving, so I am not exactly sure how much space will be available to me.

I've heard of people hanging in the pavilions, so that may be an option. Probably will need to suck it up and bring a tent... just in case.

It is possible...

This photo was taken at Goblin Campground, about six years ago.
    https://www.yahoo.com/food/were-seei...873068603.html

Notice that I was using a pad for under insulation. It was a very windy night in early April. The pad worked well to provide insu lation from the wind (since I didn't set up a tarp)and gave the option of going to ground. But by bringing extra straps, and allowing a little extra time with the set up, I hung the hammock each night (except one) within the canyons in that area.

I just returned from a long visit to Southern Utah where I again used my hammock in the dry canyons. I often used a rock at one end and a tree at the other. I also had many nights with extra strong winds on this recent trip. YMMV
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 03-30-2014 at 01:13.

• + New Posts