I'm interested. I'm just north of Ithaca. It would be my first group hang so to speak. After this crappy winter I'm itching to get back in the woods. NPT also sounds fun...been eyeballing it for some time!
I would like to begin coordinating an itinerary for the weekend. A few logistics we should understand thoughts on:
1) Where would everyone like to be for camp on Saturday night?
2) How many miles would everyone like to hike on Saturday?
3) Any special places you definitely would like to visit?
Once we have everyones thoughts on these we can determine a meeting time, trail head and route(s).
Thanks everyone! I am really looking forward to this trip.
1 2 Try Something
I've only been there once a month or two ago, and a number of the trailheads were inaccessible to my low-clearance car. My original itinerary was to park at the Parmenter Rd. trailhead in the north and hike the Interloken south most or all of the way, to camp somewhere off the Burnt Hill trail. I don't know the area well so not sure what the key points of interest are, exactly. I ended up camping off the Ravine Trail, which is a beautiful area for sure. From my Google Earth studies, I thought maybe the Burnt Hill area could offer some good views theoretically, so that was my end-goal. It's a very steep hill (in the southeastern-most area).
Sooo... my thoughts...
1) Maybe somewhere near the Gorge Ponds or South Burnt Hill ponds? At the edge of a cliff?
2) Any or all of the Interloken / No Tan Takto trails. Maybe 6 - 10+ miles? Starting from the Parmenter Rd. or Seneca Rd. trailheads (Teeter Pond). Or wherever.
3) Would love to hear suggestions. Gorges, ponds, views, falls.
I'll be watching this and will come if possible. A group of us did a winter hang on the Interloken trail last winter near one of the ponds....Teeters I think. Duct Tape was in attendance...we had a great time. I think we called it the Frozen Fingers Hang or something like that. I live in Elmira and know several other hangers in the area.