Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I've only been there once a month or two ago, and a number of the trailheads were inaccessible to my low-clearance car. My original itinerary was to park at the Parmenter Rd. trailhead in the north and hike the Interloken south most or all of the way, to camp somewhere off the Burnt Hill trail. I don't know the area well so not sure what the key points of interest are, exactly. I ended up camping off the Ravine Trail, which is a beautiful area for sure. From my Google Earth studies, I thought maybe the Burnt Hill area could offer some good views theoretically, so that was my end-goal. It's a very steep hill (in the southeastern-most area).

Sooo... my thoughts...

1) Maybe somewhere near the Gorge Ponds or South Burnt Hill ponds? At the edge of a cliff?

2) Any or all of the Interloken / No Tan Takto trails. Maybe 6 - 10+ miles? Starting from the Parmenter Rd. or Seneca Rd. trailheads (Teeter Pond). Or wherever.

3) Would love to hear suggestions. Gorges, ponds, views, falls.
    1) I am good with either of the ponds mentioned.

2) Teeter Pond works well (I could do Parmenter as well for more miles) ideally I would like to get a total of 20+ for the weekend. Others can do more/less

I am interested in a 9ish meet-up to get started on Saturday.

Please continue to share ideas.
    "Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm" "I'm growing older but not up"

My YouTube Page BackpackingAdventures My FaceBook Page BackpackingAdventures

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I was hoping to be able to attend, but I am going to be teaching a class that morning. Have a great trip !!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ,Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've never hiked down that way so I shall let others with experience chime in on location. As far as distance goes I'm up for a 20+ weekend...9ish meet-up sounds do-able for me as well

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ; HG TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing-Buckles
    So, I spent my first hammock overnight at FLNF on Sunday night (82' high temperature with 65' overnight). Parked at the north end at Parmenter Rd and hiked in 3/4 mile. Definitely muddy on the trail with plenty of standing water. Very swampy, at the moment. I do not think this area would be very conducive to a group hang.

Also, the mosquitos were already out and about, so be forewarned. BRING A BUGNET (if you have one).

I didn't have a chance to check out the lower portion of the forest. Do not know what conditions are like there.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0/30 TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    With all the snowmelt, it'll no doubt be a muddy weekend to go. Oh well... hopefully it's manageable?

Glad everyone's up for the 10 or so miles (each way). Basically that would be the whole of the Interloken trail, with a round trip total of 20-22 miles. From the Parmenter Road trailhead to Gorge Ponds/South Burnt Hill Pond area is about 10 miles exactly. (Another mile or so brings us to the shelter off the Finger Lakes Trail, not that we'd need that of course.) I think that cluster of ponds could possibly be scenic, although I haven't been to that part yet.

So how many people are thinking of making it? Is this thing still on?

Also, for anyone interested: http://cnyhiking.com/FingerLakesNationalForest.htm
    Last edited by Cosmo; 04-16-2014 at 08:12.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    With all the snowmelt, it'll no doubt be a muddy weekend to go. Oh well... hopefully it's manageable?

Glad everyone's up for the 10 or so miles (each way). Basically that would be the whole of the Interloken trail, with a round trip total of 20-22 miles. From the Parmenter Road trailhead to Gorge Ponds/South Burnt Hill Pond area is about 10 miles exactly. (Another mile or so brings us to the shelter off the Finger Lakes Trail, not that we'd need that of course.) I think that cluster of ponds could possibly be scenic, although I haven't been to that part yet.

I will be there. I will offer a 9:30am start time at the Parmenter trail head on Saturday 4/26.
    "Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm" "I'm growing older but not up"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ; HG TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing-Buckles
    Originally, I planned to travel over on Sunday morning, since I normally work on Saturday until 9 pm. But, due to work travel next week (visiting Kentucky distilleries--it's tough work but someone has to do it), my schedule will be a little different and I'll have both Saturday and Sunday off. I'll be a bit tired, but can probably make over to FLNF by Saturday afternoon/evening and meet-up. So, I'm planning on attending, but doubt I'll be there early for hiking on Saturday.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOakMonster View Post
    Originally, I planned to travel over on Sunday morning, since I normally work on Saturday until 9 pm. But, due to work travel next week (visiting Kentucky distilleries--it's tough work but someone has to do it), my schedule will be a little different and I'll have both Saturday and Sunday off. I'll be a bit tired, but can probably make over to FLNF by Saturday afternoon/evening and meet-up. So, I'm planning on attending, but doubt I'll be there early for hiking on Saturday.
    Excellent.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images

I have found the southern section of the flnf to be more scenic than the northern section. The gorge trail is a favorite. A nice steep trail winding through a hemlock grove following a stream.

There is a nice campsite just to the south of the south burnt hill pond in a planted pine forest. makes for many hammock trees in a close vicinity. There is a 50% chance I will be able to join you all.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I have found the southern section of the flnf to be more scenic than the northern section. The gorge trail is a favorite. A nice steep trail winding through a hemlock grove following a stream.

There is a nice campsite just to the south of the south burnt hill pond in a planted pine forest. makes for many hammock trees in a close vicinity. There is a 50% chance I will be able to join you all.
    Great to hear. I truly hope you will be able to attend!