DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors

Newb really wanting to love it but ?

So I found the forum a couple months ago and caught the obsession quickly, spent a ton of cash on a whole new top line set up from our glorious and gracious cottage vendors. Now that I've tried hanging the last couple nights I'm a little discouraged...... I'm 5'8 and 190ish not a big guy or round and tend to be a side sleeper, I can deal with the semi side sleep that the hammock wants to provide. And of course I've viewed the Shugidy Shug quite a few times

First of all I'm using a stand which I realize probably adds to the fiddle factor being that it flexes under weight. Maybe not? Any stand users out there for comparison/ tips

Hammock is a DH TB 10x65ish super nice. I'm finding a bit of calf pressure no matter how I wiggle around. I can't seem to get assym enough without doing the whole one leg straight other leg bent thing, or both legs are forced together and I'm not that diagonal. I don't really like my legs to touch don't know why but even when I'm side sleeping I generally have a pillow between (maybe this is just the characteristics of hammocking?). I have the head hanging lower as well. No shoulder squeeze. I'm wondering if I should've went with an 11' er

This seems to be worse with the UQ on (beautiful UGQZ),...like the narrower quilt is forcing a "straighter" lay.... I also find the shock cord suspension to be annoying as it puts pressure on my head. If I loosen it the the quilt tends to sag causing cold spots. I'm thinking about trying some triangle dealies thinking maybe the pulling it up tight may be better than the pull it out tight?

1st Night after fiddling, up and down up and down, tighten this loosen that on and on ect...... I finally fell asleep around 2ish, didn't really wake in the night and felt comfy and toasty when I woke after 4-5 hrs of sleep. So I know it's possible and after all most of you are loving it! Maybe It's just an adjustment no pun to get used to

2nd Night same thing... layed on side felt coolness, fiddled with UQ for a while as I determined by reach around haha it was sagging in the butt/foot end....tighten, loosen, cold, hot.......ah screw it put my mattress back on the floor and got some sleep

I do really want to Love it and I'm certainly not giving up yet.......just sayin WTH

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had the same issues at first with the gathered end hammock. I eventually got it figured to where I could be comfortable, but it was never great for me. It was always just...acceptable. Then I got a bridge hammock and I've never looked back. the WBRR is a thing of beauty. I'm not the best one to give advice on the GE because I struggled with the exact things you are talking about. Good luck!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Doesn't come up as much as it used to in conversations here most people used to talk significantly about just having to get used to using Hammock. If I have not been in a hammock for a while then it takes me a night or two to get the feel of it again. Your body and sleep cycles are strongly affected by your "bed". Change that up and it takes a little while to get adjusted and sleep soundly again for some folks. Many folks used to talk about a tylon PM for the first night or two. I tend to take a few with me in my Fist Aid kit and if I am having a restless night take one.

As far as all the fiddle factor dialing in your quilts, that will subside with experience. The more you use the gear the simpler it will come to dial in any adjustments. For your indoor use you will get to a point where it is right for you and you will stop adjusting, you just won't need to tweak anything as the tempature should be pretty stable and so the fit and adjustments should be the same all the time.

Keep at it, persevere and in the long run you will find what works for you.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lower the head end 6"-10" if possible. And I sleep more toward the head end of my hammock.

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    Yeah I figure it will take a breakin period and I do have the head end a good 6 or so lower. Also because of my work and sleeping at the GF's place on average I sleep in 3-4 different beds in a month and now trying the hammock too LOL.....gotta factor that in.

Would an 11' be that big of a difference?...... It seems to be for some

If I can't work it out eventually maybe I'll try a bridge but I don't really have a desire to for some reason

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    When I think about the geometry and forces in a gathered-end hammock, the 'symptoms' you describe seem pretty much inevitable, and the shorter the hammock the more accented those symptoms would be.
    I spent a few minutes in a gathered end hammock (Hennessey) and decided something different was for me.
    However, most of the talk here at HF is about gathered-end hammocks, so they must work just fine for most folks!

Words from the wise- in this case a hint to teachers from famous educator Harry Wong "If a student says they don't like some part of the classroom routine, just answer' "You'll get used to it." . Same principle seems to be at work here at HF!

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Here's a trick I found works for me. Take along something with your personal aroma - a pillowcase works for me. I dunno if it's real or psychological but the scent of "home" helps me get over the hump of "new".
    Of course on a real hike, as versus backyard hanging, I'm tired enough that I z out without too much of a struggle.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    At home if i even get a new pillow it takes me a week or 2 to get used to it, same if we flip the mattress, but the first night in my hammock and i slept like a baby but woke up with sore heels, so i made a custom diy gathered end that was alittle longer (12 ft) and problem solved.
    Then one day i tried a bridge and laid on my side,have been in love with the bridge ever since,.
    Why dont you try to make one of the group hangs that are coming up and test out a bridge before you spend anymore money, Pan from JRB will let you crawl in a bear mountain bridge as well as other members would be willing to let you test out thiers, it might just be the perfect fit for you

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have been at it for a while and finally got a decent nights sleep two nights ago. I switched from a WBRR Bridge Hammock because I cannot lay on my side, to narrow. I now have the WBBB XLC and though it is not perfect, it's better than the bridge....for me. I think in order for me to get a really good nights sleep I am going to have to learn how to fall asleep on my back, this was the case a couple nights ago. I was so tired from my 9 mile hike up the mountain, a small sip of a nice drink and I was pretty comfy. I feel like my tent was a lot easier, but something about the hammock won't let me leave it. Good luck to you.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwash View Post
    Also because of my work and sleeping at the GF's place on average I sleep in 3-4 different beds in a month and now trying the hammock too LOL.....gotta factor that in.
    If I was sleeping in 3 or 4 different beds in a month at my age it would be in sky writing or at least on billboards. But then I recall my misspent youth and think 'that's nothing'. Thank you for jiggling the memory nodes. Been a while since I thought about that. OK back to the OP.

NO ONE will be satisfied with their first nights hang or possibly their second nights hang. This is a learning experience and even at that some things change. The last time I laundered my full timer something got moved. Probably those **** Gremlins. Took me a couple of days to get the hang back right and I'm talking inches. Then you can't depend on info from others because they may have the same hammock but weight a ton or two more than you. Most of us sleep alone in a hammock and therefore this is an endeavor we must suffer and learn alone.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast