Images

DIY Cover for Warbonnet Blackbird

Here's my DIY cover for my new Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. I used 1.1 ripstop fabric. As pictured inside it's stuff sack it weighs 7 oz including shock cords and mitten hooks.

I was originally going to cut some slots in the side for the hammock pullouts, but after some trial fitting I decided not to do that. The ends close with velcro.

I sewed 3 gross grain tabs on each side and then added thin shock cord with mitten hooks. The mitten hooks attach to the small rings on my Incubator UQ. I clipped a bit off each latch on the mitten hooks so it's easier to take them on and off.

Since the cover doesn't seal up under the hammock pullouts there is a small about of built in venting. I can get more venting by rolling back the head and/or foot ends a bit, depending on the weather.

I put it together for less than $40 using materials I purchased from DIY Gear Supply. Most of the cost (and weight) is for the gross grain, shock cord and mitten hooks so maybe there's a lighter / cheaper way to do that.

I also have a Hennessy hammock and I made a wind sock for that one, but I decided to try a simple cover for the Blackbird.

As soon as spring gets here I"m heading out to try this out

DSCN2957.jpg
    DSCN2958.jpg
    DSCN2959.jpg
    DSCN2960.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That looks great! Good job and thanks for sharing. Good idea on clipping the mitten hooks, those things can be a pain.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    That is pretty awesome, great job! So it is not impregnated with silicone, right? This is more for heat retention, right?
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    That is pretty awesome, great job! So it is not impregnated with silicone, right? This is more for heat retention, right?
    Right, it's not a weatherproof cover, it's for heat retention only. One thing I hate about winter camping is having the cold air just pouring into the hammock and a cover stops a lot of that cold air infiltration. The Clark hammocks have a cover built in, but on hammocks like Hennessy, Warbonnet, etc you need either a wind sock or something like this cover.

The fabric is described as "breathable" but honestly I would not completely seal myself up in this thing. I like to make sure I have some venting going on for air and also condensation control.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    That is really neat. I would love to try to diy something like this, (I have a wbbb as well.) Where did you find plans?
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    That is really neat. I would love to try to diy something like this, (I have a wbbb as well.) Where did you find plans?
    No plans. I sewed two old bedsheets together, draped it over the hammock, and cut the sheets out to fit the hammock. I had the hammock pitched in my basement using tripods. After I cut the bedsheet out I used that as a pattern for cutting 1.1 breathable ripstop.

You could probably skip the bedsheets and drape / cut the ripstop fabric directly, but I was afraid to try that

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nice looking cover! I like that green color. Great execution.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts