Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'd like some help figuring out what to start with for Hammock camping

Greetings HammockFourms! Cev here, looking to take advantage of your knowledge!

I've been reading on the forum for a few days now trying to get a handle on things, but I'm still in unfamiliar territory.

In short, I need, (want?) a hammock. I'll briefly list what I'm trying to get it to do for me.

1: size. I'm a big guy, 6'3 and almost 300 lbs. I need something big enough to be comfortable, and strong enough to hold me.
    2: cost. I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I want to get it right the first time.
    3: conditions. I'm planning on motorcycle camping in north GA, mostly summer. Size is more of a concern than weight.

Bug nets? rain flys? attachment systems? I'm not sure what's appropriate, I've never actually hammock camped, and its been a LONG time since I camped at all. I know for some of you this is a passion, but for me as of yet, I'm just looking for another tool and want to do it right.

Thanks in advance!
    --Cev

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would look into 11 foot hammocks. As for me starting out I made one for every one to try out they went from there on pursuit of hammocks.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I personally recommend the eno system to start out, like the one link.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Agreed the Doublenest one link system will get you everything you want for about $200. Then if you stick with it you can upgrade individual components in the future.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    I think the ENO hammocks would be a little short for someone who is 6'3" as the OP indicated.

I would suggest getting a polyester crinkle taffeta table cloth from tableclothsfactory.com get the 90"x156" or 90"x132" and make your own hammock (trimming the width to 60" or so with a soldering iron to seal the edge from fraying). Pick up a whoopie sling suspension kit or cinch buckle suspension kit from Arrowhead Equipment and you'd at least find out if you would be comfortable in the hammock.

After that, then you can pick up a bug net and tarp for the complete system. This, of course, presumes the original poster already has a camping pad and a sleeping bag for insulation.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    11&quot; 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    You cam make you a 11' table cloth for under $40 if you buy the whoopie slings, straps already made. Around $25 if you make your own. Get you a pad at walmart for less than $20 and you are in business. Plenty youtube videos for table cloth hammock, whoopie slings and straps. Cheapest way but requires a little work, but rewarding and fun. Then if you really like you may want to spend a little more to upgrade.

Hammock
    11&quot; 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hop on your motorcycle come out to lake oconee and you can give my ENO double nest and my 11' tablecloth a check out. Also have pad you can try. I'll be glad to check you out on whoopie slings , straps and diy bug net. I am relativity new at this but jumped in whole hog.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevulirn View Post
    Bug nets? rain flys? attachment systems? I'm not sure what's appropriate, I've never actually hammock camped, and its been a LONG time since I camped at all. I know for some of you this is a passion, but for me as of yet, I'm just looking for another tool and want to do it right.
    Any double layer nylon hammock will easily hold you up! as will parachute nylon hammocks like ENO and Grand Trunk (even tablecloth hammocks which are 'similar'). Most all hammocks from the cottage vendors will come with a suspension. Rain flys or tarps are a MUST if you are looking to sleep outside IMHO (you never really know when it's gonna rain, and precipitation isn't the only things that falls from trees). Many people can get by without a bug net, so I would look at a 'topless' hammock (ie, not an integrated net) that will both save weight and bulk, and will be more versatile in the end (you can always add a bug net).

one thing that is ESSENTIAL is bottom insulation. Seeing that it's been a while since you have camped at all... I won't assume you have a sleeping pad, but they DO work in a hammock to provide bottom insulation but they are finicky and at your size, won't be the best option. If size is the biggest concern as a biker, a down uq and tq will be your best bet as they pack the smallest.

A Sheltowee Hammock comes with an integrated down uq, cinch buckle suspension, storage and stuff bags. add a tarp and a tq (or sleeping bag) and you'll be hanging like a pro with minimal effort (and minimal investment!)
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I think the ENO hammocks would be a little short for someone who is 6'3" as the OP indicated.

I would suggest getting a polyester crinkle taffeta table cloth from tableclothsfactory.com get the 90"x156" or 90"x132" and make your own hammock (trimming the width to 60" or so with a soldering iron to seal the edge from fraying). Pick up a whoopie sling suspension kit or cinch buckle suspension kit from Arrowhead Equipment and you'd at least find out if you would be comfortable in the hammock.

After that, then you can pick up a bug net and tarp for the complete system. This, of course, presumes the original poster already has a camping pad and a sleeping bag for insulation.

Cheers

Brian
    A tablecloth hammock from tableclothsfactory.com is able to handle a 300 pounder. My son (150 lbs) and myself (250 lbs) laid in mine without breaking it. Used dutch straps with dutch cinchbuckles as suspension.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    Hop on your motorcycle come out to lake oconee and you can give my ENO double nest and my 11' tablecloth a check out. Also have pad you can try. I'll be glad to check you out on whoopie slings , straps and diy bug net. I am relativity new at this but jumped in whole hog.
    I just might take you up on that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast