XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    It was in the boat, must have fallen out when boat was pulled up, only thing I can think. Considering the conditions, lucky that's the only casualty. That and the blood loss.

Wouldn't do it in a 16 ft boat again, much more fun in a kayak I think.

Still, the meal was really something. Lobster, shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, grilled veggies, london broil, brats, what a feast. And all cooked on the fire in the pouring rain thanks to the tarps. Was surprised the wind shifted as much as did as evidenced by the smoke.

The inclement weather really highlighted the comfort , convenience and warmth of the hammock camping method. Would not have wanted to be a ground dweller that night.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    It was in the boat, must have fallen out when boat was pulled up, only thing I can think. Considering the conditions, lucky that's the only casualty. That and the blood loss.

Wouldn't do it in a 16 ft boat again, much more fun in a kayak I think.

Still, the meal was really something. Lobster, shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, grilled veggies, london broil, brats, what a feast. And all cooked on the fire in the pouring rain thanks to the tarps. Was surprised the wind shifted as much as did as evidenced by the smoke.

The inclement weather really highlighted the comfort , convenience and warmth of the hammock camping method. Would not have wanted to be a ground dweller that night.
    Seriously. I had one of the best nights sleep I've logged to date in a hammock. Nearly 8 uninterrupted hours, dry and warm as can be.

Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Several points.
    1.Will get help editing videos and post asap. 2. Guest of njredneck, lets call him John, started and ended the trip with no trail name bestowed. I believe this was accomplished by keeping busy and a low profile. Perhaps "Smart John" works. 3. Now I on the other hand come out with mouth a blazing and navigation area of brain not functioning. Proof of this are the many areas of blood spewing from SilvrSurfr and Pretbek. Silentorpheus got to enjoy my superb verbal navigation skills as we made the last run for gear, in the dark I might add. His shoulders said it all, "What the **** direction do you want me to go". I was having fun. 4. During coffee time we discussed the finer points of grammar. I, lacking secondary education, was out gunned. How ever I did learn. "Prioritize" Did we really think it thru on departure time, gear access, and extraction of two "momma said be home by" campers? "Paradigm Shift" I do believe that came the moment the tarp went up over the fire. A collective 8 person aaaaaaahhhhh warmth. Than there was constant shifting to avoid the smoke. "Interment vs Interment"
    There were few complaints on our "Internment"under the tarps. Sadly for missing my deadline the will be a service and "Interment" of my male parts later this week. Said with a high pitched voice, had a great time, great food, great guys. One last question, do those things grow back??
    "I ain't no physciscisk, but I knows what matters"
    Popeye

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Sounds like great fun, river time is magical. I have 12 friends from college that I paddle with for 5-7 days at the end of May every year. This year will be our 37th annual trip. It is special. I found many memories recalled as I read your posts.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Here is a picture of the view that SilvrSurfr and I had when we took a break from our paddling (actual paddling, not bushwhacking) on the second day.

We were under Silvr's tarp set up in porch mode having a cup of hot chocolate with a dash of cayenne pepper and also spicy Thai tuna on Wasa crackers. Oh, the hardship.

Bloody (pun intended) hell, what a fantastic adventure this weekend.

I even type with a Dutch accent.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
    Here is a picture of the view that SilvrSurfr and I had when we took a break from our paddling (actual paddling, not bushwhacking) on the second day.

We were under Silvr's tarp set up in porch mode having a cup of hot chocolate with a dash of cayenne pepper and also spicy Thai tuna on Wasa crackers. Oh, the hardship.

One of the best lunches I've ever had - my hands were frozen and the chance to warm them up and get out of the rain was priceless. Hot chocolate with cayenne pepper is pure genius - I'm packing that from now on.

Paddling with Pretbek up front was an entirely different experience from having the directionally challenged P47-Chowhound up front. It was almost surreal that when Pretbek said "stay left" that he actually meant left and not right. Took a while to recalibrate my brain that left meant left and right meant right. With P47-Chowhound navigating, "left" could mean virtually anything. It could mean left, or right, or up or down - but the end result was usually a collision with the bank or a tree or a thorn bush!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge Hammock
    That looks like a reel cool place to paddle. Hope to see more pics of the river. I know its hard to take pictures when your hands are full of paddle.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post

Is that a random pull off on the Batsto?

Almost looks like the pull out point at Lower Forge, but not quite.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream 1
    Insulation
    EE and HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Various Straps
    Looks like a fun even if wet time. Glad you guys enjoyed it. I can't wait to get out again.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Is that a random pull off on the Batsto?

Almost looks like the pull out point at Lower Forge, but not quite.
    That's about a mile south of Quaker Bridge, as I recall. It's right on the Batona Trail.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast