Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Poison ivy hammock hang?

Hey guys!

Alright just got back from a campout yesterday and I'll start off I am super allergic to poison ivy always have been it gets every where and stays for like four days. So I always am looking out for it even in the winter I'm cautious.

So I know what the poison ivy leaves look like but poison ivy also can be sertan vines and those are what make me nervous because I don't know what vines are poison ivy and what ones aren't.
    But anyways almost all the trees here in Mo/AR have some sort of vines wrapped up the trees (obviously have to have contact with them for my tree straps and tarp)
    Um soi guess my main questin is when I get into the poison ivy should I wash off all of my gear that I touched so when I handle my gear again (and my hammock) I don't get poison ivy again? I know poison obey isn't really contagious tone touch from person to person (once the oils set in) but say I got it on my hammock or tree hungers when setting up and they got it on my backpack so in so forth do I need to wash everything they may have touched poisonivy directly or indirectly?

Thanks a tone guys!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If your gear comes in direct contact with the actual plant or vine, wash it. The oil can last for a very long time. I once had it on a walking stick. I put the stick away for the winter and I had a reaction to the oil on the stick the next spring when I used the stick for the first time.

There are some washing products made specifically for getting poison ivy out but I have found plain old fashion out of the box Tide (powder) to be effective. I am also highly allergic and have been hospitalized twice with it. It is not a joke for me because it can put me out of commission for weeks.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Anytime you suspect contact with poison ivy it's a good idea to wash anything you had with you that CAN be washed. Just to stay on the safe side. as dkurfiss said, the oil lasts a very long time. and if you're hypersensitive to it it's best to just eliminate all possibility of residual oil on your gear.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I've always been told for the vine to remember "hairy rope, don't be a dope". The vines look like that are hairy.

Ivy.jpg

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Alright so your pole came in direct contact with the ivy right? If so I can see that oil sticking in the pole. But say I got it on my hands and later had gotten into my hammock obviously using my hands would I need to wash off everything I touched including my hammock?
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WB RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    SF
    Insulation
    20 Burrow/lynx uq
    Suspension
    std WB strapes
    I sell a poison ivy soap at my Hardware store. If you have a non-box store such as Doit Best or Ace hardware, they might carry it. It is called Stop The Itch poison ivy soap. This stuff really works! Phone for the company is 570-448-5381. This is a small Company w/o a Web site, but great guy to deal with.

Hammock
    WB RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    SF
    Insulation
    20 Burrow/lynx uq
    Suspension
    std WB strapes
    Just found out the Web site for soap is poisonivysoap.com. You can find a local retailer from the site

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I have always been told that the best way to remove the oils after contact was with 91% rubbing (isopropal or 2-propanaol) alcohol. It makes sense that the alcohol would break down the oils too. I have been exposed several times but, wiped off with a towel soaked in the stuff. Zero problems since I have started doing that. I carry a small bottle now when I hike for that, hand sanitizing (its whats in the store bought stuff), and wound cleaning. Medical literature highly recommends the use of alcohol based sanitizers as bleach based products can degrade quickly. Really great stuff.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Alright ya their is an ace right up the road I should check it out thank you!!
    Paragon Fury

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 XL, DH-TB, ENO DN,
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3S UQ, HG TQ
    I had the same experience last year. You can wash your hammock with a dish washing liquid since it is mild and wont damage the Hammock. The dishwashing liquid is very good with breaking down the poison ivy oils. Also you should get use to using poison ivy soap during the season. I use a jewelsweed or Neem natural soap. Whenever I am in the woods or hiking. Use it before and after. It works for me and I have a terrible reaction to Poison Ivy.

Also lets no forget that Poison Ivy is a Warrior Plant. Its there for a reason, warning sign. It is food for 60 different species including deers and bears. Poison Ivy also helps the forest repair itself by defending the area. When PI starts to overpopulate Jewelsweed and other plants are near by to control Poison Ivy population. It a beautiful thing when you think about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast