Greetings from California

What's up everyone! I was born and raised back in Nam, I've been using hammock since childhood up until 9, but haven't used since I moved to the US. I recently got back into outdoor stuff with friends and family and thought a hammock is the way to go. I have been sleeping on the ground with no padding since I was 10 and even when I'm out camping with friends in the later years, but my back is not having it anymore. I got bought a Land Cruiser 80 series recently and everyone on the Land Cruiser forum love their roof top tent, but those things take up all the room on the roof, weigh about 120lbs ++ and they can run from $800-1500. I'm sure those tents are nice but I like the idea of being to hang up my hammock anywhere I go, i can also hang it on my roof rack and stay away from critters below. I'm planning on making some mods inside the truck to hang a short hammock inside so I can sleep on my lunch break.

I bought myself a Hammock Bliss with the net for $65, I didn't get to use that one yet, So then, what do I need to know about hammocks? I'm getting ready to order the python strap and some carabiners and even an Omega rap ring, also have some reflective 550 paracord in the cart. Is all that overkill? My intended use will be in California weather where it's mostly sunny but it can get a bit chilly in the winter time because my *** is "tropical," I will use it on the roof of my SUV when possible but mostly will hang form some trees. I have to learn how to tie knots all over again, it was sort of fun as a scout but I think it will be a pain since I'm growing old and senile.

Any clue what is the shortest hammock on the market? the interior of my truck is about 8 feet from front windshield to rear hatch. I found this thing on the cheap side that I'm more than willing to use, but would appreciate some other options. It measures in at 6.5' but I don't know if that's accurate at all.
    http://sport.woot.com/offers/lakesid...=cnt_sc_is_1_t

Thanks for having me on this forum!

SoCal
    Last edited by socalove714; 04-01-2014 at 17:15.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Welcome from Central California!

I'm pretty new at this so I'll let the more experienced users address your questions.

Hopefully before you pull the trigger on the paracord, though, I'll say that most will advise against paracord for hammock suspension: it stretches quite a bit and it's not rated that high, especially in comparison to most other components in a typical suspension system. By and large, most hangers here use Amsteel (whoopie slings or continuous loops) for the middle man between hammock and tree straps. They can be purchased already made or made at home (good tutorials here in the DIY section). Check out the materials available from Dutch.

Hi Aaron!
    Thanks for the heads up on the paracord and thanks for the link! I went to Kings Canyon about 4 years ago, the weather was very interesting in mid July. It was sunny and beautiful in the morning so we set out for a hike, 30 minutes into the the hike it started to get cloudy then rain came and boy did it came. We had to turn around in fear of getting stranded, it started hailing on us as we made it back to camp. Luckily I picked the camp sight at a slight slant or else it would have flooded the entire group. That was one of my favorite moments at Kings Canyon

• + New Posts