Body size to hammock size????

Looking at buying my first hammock and could use some advice. I'm 5'8", 160 lbs. I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb for body size to hammok size?

I've been considering the Skeeter Beeter Pro. But it sounds pretty big. The ENO double nest sounds similar in size. Rated at 400bs. Some guys commented on a post about the SB Pro and indicated it would fit a much later body type.

So now I'm thinking the ENO single nest and a bug net. But I don't want to be cramped up. Looking for some guidance from those tree hangers out there.

Thx in advance.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Go to a Hang, you really need to "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY". Many of us own several hammocks, why because we needed to try them out to see how the fit our needs. Members are very good about letting people test their hammocks, a Hang is the best place to check out what other Hangers use. At the Hangs I have gone to there are always extra hammocks for ground sleepers, many people have been converted that way.

I studied out all the hammocks before I made a selection. I picked a Hennessey, it turned out to be just too big for me, I have a heck of a time getting out of it.

Try a ENO Double, I found my ENO to be very different from my other hammocks, I have a double it was my very first hammock, I went from it to the Hennessy and a bunch of other hammocks found one that fits me perfectly, I love it.

I had to try a lot of hammocks before I found the right fit for me. It is a bit like buying a pair of shoes, you just have to try them on to see if they fit you. I am 62 inches tall and not on the willowy side. My daughter is a little taller 64 inches tall, she loves my big Hennessey's.

Another thing to think about is the bug net, I found out I hate being enclosed, I see some other members have had interesting experiences learning that they do not do well enclosed.

You really need to try them out, this is not a purely intellectual process.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    I have went through LOTS of hammocks. I finally found the right one for me. The Warbonnet Blackbird. It beat the snot outta my eno-nest, and my hennessy.
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I agree with the prior posts to a certain degree, but to answer your question yes. You want a minimum of 2.5ft longer fabric than you are tall to be comfortable according to ed speer. I have found, as well as many others, that about 4ft is optimally comfortable.

What this means is that you'd should purchase a hammock a minimum of about 9'. The average cottage hammock is 10' but a lot are moving towards 11.

Eno's aren't quite 10' and a little heavy duty for your weight. Oh and they are a little pricey. Take a look at buttinasling's weight weenie hammock and accessories. Good prices and will custom build for you.

Papsmurf is another goodie to look at and his dream hammock freebird. A plethora of fabric colors and weights, and is an absolute dream to work with (so I've heard).

Then there are bridge hammocks...

Good luck.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    As mentioned, if possible make the effort to go to a hang. It will be very educational. Aside from that, don't short yourself, when in doubt get the bigger one.

• + New Posts