Hammock
    DIY 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    MYOG silnylon asym
    Insulation
    HG uq and EE tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + UCRs

Lightbulb What causes condensation problems when using pads in hammocks?

I have many of the options. I own CCF pads, aThermarest Prolite Plus self inflating/foam pad and Reflectix.

After reading various posts and viewing a number of videos I rethought my options and made an underquilt.

I like to sleep on the cool side but I'm not interested in waking up with a condensation drenched backside.

Why is it that I do not have this problem when I use my CCF and Thermarest pads in my tent on the cold hard ground?

The Reflectix being much more of a vapor barrier is understandable to me in relation to condensation.

Can someone explain the physics of this to me?

Newton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    In a hammock you deal with convection, on the ground conduction, as far as heat loss goes.

The air circulates all around you in a hammock, and does not on the ground. Heat there is lost into the ground usually at a slower easier to control rate.

Dew point is another factor and affects both. In a tent you usually end up with condensation on tent walls above you, and because most tents are set up with a slight angle keeping head higher than feet, you can still find condensation down there, in the low spot, at foot box level. In a hammock it ends up under you back and butt, because they are, when loaded, where the lowest spots are located.

A surprising amount of condensate can also end up inhabiting down fills and compromise loft, if left unheeded. The bag or quilt becomes heavier and gradually loses it's ability to work within it's specified range.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I wrap my CCF in an old flannel sheet. Others use fleece. This will keep the condensation off you. My flannel is damp in the morning - but my sleeping bag and myself are dry. Just air dry the flannel each day.
    P.S. I have a UQ also - each has it's time/place to excel. The CCF is great in wet conditions and windy weather - The UQ is great in dry conditions - add a UQP for wind. Learn to use the CCF and save up for a UQ and UQP - then you'll have it all.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    After reading various posts and viewing a number of videos.........

Why is it that I do not have this problem when I use my CCF and Thermarest pads in my tent on the cold hard ground?
    I'm surprised that your reading of posts (search??) didn't turn up this recent thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-conversation

Check there and you will find several answers to your questions.
    Short answer: In a tent you are not wrapping your sleeping pad tightly around your body and in a tent the ground and the tent keep the wind away....

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    MYOG silnylon asym
    Insulation
    HG uq and EE tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    I'm surprised that your reading of posts (search??) didn't turn up this recent thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-conversation

Check there and you will find several answers to your questions.
    Short answer: In a tent you are not wrapping your sleeping pad tightly around your body and in a tent the ground and the tent keep the wind away....
    Thanks for link to the other thread. there was a lot of good information and shared experiences in it.

So now more to the point in my particular case. My hammock is a dual layer, breathable rip stop nylon with open access to the area in-between the to layers. There are openings at opposite diagonal corners where I can insert or remove my pad.

Do I need as suggested in the linked thread another layer such as fleece or fabric sleeping bag liners between myself and the pad which will be located under a single layer of rip stop nylon in my hammock body to avoid the condensation / sweat issue?

Thanks,

Newton

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    This is a guess, and nothing more, but I wonder if PART of the reason is contact. Our bodies are not flat like boards, so on the ground, while you are laying flat on the mat, there are small (maybe even microscopic) gaps that allow a bit of breathability between pad and body. When you lay in a hammock, the body is cradled, and the pad with it, pressing it to you harder, leaving less breathability. This kinda makes me think of packs that have airflow spaces to reduce back sweat.
    There may be other contributing factors that play a role. Again, this is just a guess.
    What do you think HF, is there any validity to this theory?
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    This is a guess, and nothing more, but I wonder if PART of the reason is contact. Our bodies are not flat like boards, so on the ground, while you are laying flat on the mat, there are small (maybe even microscopic) gaps that allow a bit of breathability between pad and body. When you lay in a hammock, the body is cradled, and the pad with it, pressing it to you harder, leaving less breathability. This kinda makes me think of packs that have airflow spaces to reduce back sweat.
    There may be other contributing factors that play a role. Again, this is just a guess.
    What do you think HF, is there any validity to this theory?
    I THINK there is validity to this theory. Part of the reason I like the thermarest ridgerest is my back has never sweat on a pad yet. Although I've mostly been out in cold and cool conditions. But I've still been hot to the point of sweating and didn't have any pooling in my back. I'm assuming the gaps in the pad allow for some airflow. But time will tell as I haven't used it above 50 yet.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I agree on the contact theory. On the ground, just a bit of your body is in contact with the pad and you move some. In a hammock, it is wrapped around you and pulled up snug like a big foam taco.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    MYOG silnylon asym
    Insulation
    HG uq and EE tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + UCRs
    Hi Dale,

So I'm OK with the contact / taco theory + the convection issue.

I have a torso sized Ridgerest and a Walmart (not sure of manufacturer) egg crate style blue foam pad. Both of these have either channels or hi and lo spots that may allow the air to flow.

I'll be out hanging this weekend on an overnighter. The Ridgerest and the blue foam pad will be in-between the layers of my hammock in a full length configuration.

The temperature is forecast to be on the mild to cool side. My learning curve continues.

Thanks,

Newton

• + New Posts