Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

Ohio State Parks: Ceasar Creek and Alum Creek solo hanging options?

Planning to bike a section of the Ohio to Erie Trail later this spring and scouting out hammocking options. The only state parks I see within easy distance of the trail are Caesars Creek and Alum Creek. I camped at Alum Creek 100 years ago (okay, 25) and don't remember a thing. Wasn't hammock-camping at the time, either, so I certainly wasn't looking at that.

Pictures I can see of Ceasar's Creek show lots of wooded areas. Pictures I can find of the campground make it look like a flat field where people park their RVs and trailers. Anyone have experience hanging at either of these parks (or elsewhere on the southern half of the Ohio to Erie trail)?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    I've stealth camped at Caesars creek no prob. Lots of trees. Never stayed at the designated camp sites

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Good to know. I see both parks have equestrian sites that look like they may have more potential than the main campground. I wonder if anyone has a policy about camping there without a horse.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You might read Captain Blue's blog of his thru hike of the Erie to Ohio Trail.
    http://www.outdooradventureconnection.com/blog.php

I happened to meet him by chance standing on a street corner in downtown Columbus just a day after I happened upon his blog.

David

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I live about 3 miles from Caesars creek. Camp there all the time off the backpacking trail. Are you looking to stay at the campground?
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    I live about 3 miles from Caesars creek. Camp there all the time off the backpacking trail. Are you looking to stay at the campground?
    I'm looking to stay wherever there's a good hanging opportunity not too far off the trail. I tend to like organized campgrounds because of shower availability and the possibility of a campfire, and because I worry about the possibility of being caught and given the boot if I stealth camp. But some organized campgrounds are little more than a field full of cement pads to park your RV on, so they make poor hammock sites.

I found a picture of another Caesar Creek hammocker who upended two picnic tables to make a suitable hanging spot, which makes me think that the main campground for Caesar Creek is one of those parking lot campgrounds.

And thanks, Bannerstone. I will check out that blog. -- edited to add-- Just reading the "Final thoughts" of the trip had a wealth of information. I'm sure that's going to be a great resource for the trail.
    Last edited by Rob3E; 04-05-2014 at 12:57.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    There are sites at the campground but you would have to specify that you need a wooded lot. How many are going to be hanging?
    Byron

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    There are sites at the campground but you would have to specify that you need a wooded lot. How many are going to be hanging?
    It's just me. Some where I saw someone suggest the equestrian camp as a place that might have better hanging opportunities (also might be closer to the trail). I don't think they have any other facilities, but that shouldn't be a big deal, if they don't mind horseless campers. I have a tentative plan to stay the next night at place with a shower and, if I can't avoid it, a bed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob3E View Post
    It's just me. Some where I saw someone suggest the equestrian camp as a place that might have better hanging opportunities (also might be closer to the trail). I don't think they have any other facilities, but that shouldn't be a big deal, if they don't mind horseless campers. I have a tentative plan to stay the next night at place with a shower and, if I can't avoid it, a bed.
    The horsemanship camp would be great depending on the time of year and the weekday. If you come during the week you will have a better chance of getting a spot down the left side of camp as you pull in. It is all wooded and the only wooded campsites there. As long as you are not taking room from a horse camper they should not mind, I have seen Boy Scouts out there camping and I park out there when I hunt.
    Byron

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    You might read Captain Blue's blog of his thru hike of the Erie to Ohio Trail.
    http://www.outdooradventureconnection.com/blog.php

I happened to meet him by chance standing on a street corner in downtown Columbus just a day after I happened upon his blog.

David

Cool that you posted this. I am looking at some long distance options for this summer and am contemplating doing this hike. I would do it in two 10 day sections. Cincy to C-bus in June and then C-bus to Cleveland in August. This hike looks like a nice walk with many towns along the way for resupply, laundry, and rest stops. Also 20ish miles a day should not be extremely difficult since it mostly railroad grade. The maps for this just came out a couple weeks ago and I am waiting for them at the moment, I will be looking forward to planning the trip out, but it should be pretty easy to plan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast