Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've never used a CRL under the tarp due to the potential for the issues mentioned. Also, a tarp with a cat cut ridge isn't ideal for an under the tarp CRL anyway. Just my 2-cents. If you are looking to rig an over the top CRL I am really liking the Tato Gear tarp connectors a lot better than prussics.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I started out with a CRL under my silnylon tarp, because I could never get it tight enough when running the CRL over the tarp. The CRL I used was from Whoopieslings; the tarp is attached to the CRL by prussiks. I stopped running the ridgeline under the tarp though, because I had problems with rain running along the ridgeline under the tarp. I accepted the fact that my tarps would always have a deep curve. And then I got a set of Dutch Stingerz. Never looked back. I could never get a really tight pitch with the prussiks. I even managed to mangle the knot bone on the end of the CRL... I find the set-up of the tarp with a non-CRL and the Stingerz to be as easy as with the CRL. Instead of moving around the prussiks to center the tarp, I simply don't tie off the line but just sort of "pinch it" under the antenna once - then tie off the other end where I want it, and finish with tightening the other (previously pinched) end. The pitch is tighter than ever, there is only a slight curve in the tarp, as intended by the maker.

With regards to tarp suggestions: I love my Warbonnet tarps. Sturdy. Tons of coverage. Very light for silnylon. No seam-sealing of the ridge required. And the price is not bad either.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    MYOG silnylon asym
    Insulation
    HG uq and EE tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I've never used a CRL under the tarp due to the potential for the issues mentioned. Also, a tarp with a cat cut ridge isn't ideal for an under the tarp CRL anyway. Just my 2-cents. If you are looking to rig an over the top CRL I am really liking the Tato Gear tarp connectors a lot better than prussics.
    Just thinking out loud here since I will soon be building an A frame style full coverage multi-use tarp.

If the reason for the CRL underneath the tarp is to help get a tighter pitch, why not go with a catenary cut tarp?

Wouldn't using a fully cat cut tarp eliminate most if not all of the tight pitch issues?

The advantages of a CRL are adjustabilty and a tighter pitch with less "ripples" in the tarp. A fully cat cut tarp might eliminate the ripples and if the CRL were retained and used above the tarp the adjustabilty benefit remains.

The really gram concious might consider carrying less line and use separate lines on each end of the tarp. IMHO the weight difference is so minimal that it doesn't "outweigh" the advantage of a CRL's adjustabilty.

Newton

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    On sil tarps I always run the RL under the tarp, but for the reason that you just stated, I always use the RL above the tarp with CF. Since it is one of the most expensive pieces of camping gear that I have ever owned, I have been super paranoid that I am going to hurt it. I already had a lawn mower sling a rock through my other cf tarp and that scarred me for life! I am curious to see the long term results of using a rl under the cf tarp. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Ya I figured I better bring up my experience with it because I would like to have herd about this happening before I got mine if somebody had the experience that I had with my CF tarp
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I'm leaning towards the tad pole tarp buy wilderness logics anyone know anything on it?
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My pitch with a CRL running under the tarp (tight, but rain running along the CRL under the tarp, and possible issues with friction):

My pitch with the CRL running over the tarp (I didn't like how the tarp curved down, and the prussiks did not give me a tighter pitch):

My pitch with the separate ridgeline and Dutch Stingerz (unfortunately I don't have a picture showing the pitch clearly from the side, but it is as tight if not tighter than the pitch with the CRL running under the tarp):

]

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    MYOG silnylon asym
    Insulation
    HG uq and EE tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    My pitch with a CRL running under the tarp (tight, but rain running along the CRL under the tarp, and possible issues with friction):

My pitch with the CRL running over the tarp (I didn't like how the tarp curved down, and the prussiks did not give me a tighter pitch):

My pitch with the separate ridgeline and Dutch Stingerz (unfortunately I don't have a picture showing the pitch clearly from the side, but it is as tight if not tighter than the pitch with the CRL running under the tarp):

]
    What make of tarp is that in your pictures? How long is your tarp's ridge line?

All of your pitches look very good to me.

Prussiks attaching your tarp to your hammock suspension offer an advantage if the trees are far apart as they are in your first picture (less line to carry).

If your tarp ridge line is attached to your hammock suspension when your hammock swings your tarp is being tugged side to side at the tie out points.

The two most appealing options to me are a cat cut tarp with a CRL above the tarp or a cat cut tarp with separate ridge line tie outs at the ends of the cat cut tarp ridge line.

My CRL uses a prussik knot as an tension adjuster on the loose end of the line.

Newton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor Like Fire View Post
    I'm leaning towards the tad pole tarp buy wilderness logics anyone know anything on it?
    I am about to order a tadpole myself, my buddy has the Old Man Winter and the quality is top notch
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    What make of tarp is that in your pictures?
    The tarp in the first two pics is the old WB Superfly (no doors), which is equal to the current Mamajamba. The tarp in the last pic is the WB Edge.

How long is your tarp's ridge line?
    The ridgline length of both the old Superfly as well as the Edge is 11' (the hammock is the 10' WB Blackbird with a RL of 100").

All of your pitches look very good to me.
    Looks are deceptive. As I said, with pitch no. 1 I had rain running along the CRL and dropping on my hammock. A lot of rain... With pitch no. 2 I felt that due to the extrem curve on both ends, I was unnecessarily exposed to rain. Pitch no. 3 is pretty much perfect to my taste, though

Prussiks attaching your tarp to your hammock suspension offer an advantage if the trees are far apart as they are in your first picture (less line to carry).
    I think it is exactly the opposite. With two separate ridelines, I save the 11' ridgeline in the middle. Although you are correct insofar, as you can move the CRL to where it is needed (e.g. if you have a huge tree on one side, and a small tree on the other, the CRL can be adjusted). However, I don't think that the length and weight of the ridgeline needed differs a lot between the two options. If I was concerned about micro grams, I could take one short line and one long line, and use the longer line on the side with the bigger tree. So it's a non-issue, really.

If your tarp ridge line is attached to your hammock suspension when your hammock swings your tarp is being tugged side to side at the tie out points.
    My ridgeline is *never* attached to my hammock suspension. It is always attached to the trees. Maybe the picture doesn't show this. The only difference is, that in the first two pics, there is one line running from tree to tree, and the tarp is attached to that line with prussiks, while in the last pic it is tree-line-tarp-line-tree. By attaching the line with the Dutch Stingerz directly to the tarp, I'm able to pull the tarp *much* tighter than I can with prussiks. I also think that my prussiks actually slipped a little bit during the night. When I took them off after one year of use, they looked pretty worn, probably to half the diameter they had when new. My experiences with prussiks led me to the conviction that they're not the best method to pitch your tarp (I still use prussiks on the guy lines, but they don't need to take as much pull).

The two most appealing options to me are a cat cut tarp with a CRL above the tarp or a cat cut tarp with separate ridge line tie outs at the ends of the cat cut tarp ridge line.
    I never had a tarp without cat cut, so I can't really compare. I think all hammock tarps have a cat cut.

If you have a couple of bucks to spare, try the Dutch Stingerz. They were an eye opener to me. I had so many little problems with my CRL - never had another problem with the Dutch Stingerz RL.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I love my tadpole so far. it is only a month old mind you. my old man winter tarp is fantastic, bombproof, awesome. I went wilderness logics for tarps because I prefer the 12' RL for an 11' hammock. with no doors I like that extra coverage from the elements(check pic on tadpole versus edge tarp) the extra 6" per side makes a nice difference. all my ridgelines are the same as Hutzelbein's though, stingerz and zingit. when I first started I tried the CRL, but wasn't impressed with the tightness issue or the shape of the ridgeline after. my friend who started me hammocking has since converted to stingerz or figure9 separate RL after borrowing my OMW tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast